Appearance Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

floor pan

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 11:13 PM
Default floor pan

Hello
So I bit the bullet and hired a "body" guy to install the floor pans in my 62.
I had meet him a couple of times at local car shows, even talked to him once before, this time
he had his 70 Dart Swinger with him, a beautiful car, Orange paint, narrowed rear axle, tubed
big slicks... it was a real nice car, so I decided that I'd have him to the floor pans in my car.
He came over and it turns out that he lives like 4 blocks from me. Told me to put the new floor
pan in the driver side he'd charge me $250. I thought that was a fare price not knowing much about
the market for such things.
He came over on said day, an hour late, by then we had lost any shade from the cloud cover.
Well after 5 hours or maybe 6, a new floor pan was in place, and all that was needed now was to
grind down all the welds, metal prep it and epoxy it. Except the all the blow through holes in his welding
job. I always figure that when I bid a job or at least tell the person what would be done, I would do it.
To me the weld does not have holes in it. Yes I was a little MAD.
So I decided to do another spot myself, it is much smaller, about 6" sq, but I left no holes in the weld
it might not be perfect, but did not cost me a pocket of money.
I'm going to start on the rear floor pan tomorrow, a lot more work involved, if you know the 62 Fords
Hell I'm evening learning how to mig weld, and fabricate, maybe the $250 was paying for a good lesson.

What happened to workmanship in America, Pride in your work... hell I even bought him lunch.
Sorry for the Rant..

Best
PS I posted else where regarding these "jacking" bolts on the front bench seat. Dearborne Classics
shows a set, for 60-70 Fords, I called them and talked to a guy. I told him that this is not what my
car has, I have 3 5\16-18 bolts that go up from the seat bottom to the seat back, into (J style nut retainers)
hard to find.. but I called 4 places on Monday and not one had ever seen this setup.
From left to Right, 5\16 bolt coming up from under seat bottom, next is from under seat bottom, third
is suppose to show the location, Fourth is the "Nut" on bottom edge of seat back, and last is the
"J style nut retainer"

Attached Thumbnails floor pan-img_2367.jpg   floor pan-img_2363.jpg   floor pan-img_2360.jpg   floor pan-img_2356.jpg   floor pan-img_2358.jpg  

Last edited by Sanddoc; 08-24-2016 at 04:35 PM.