Aspire/Festiva/Fiesta Possibly one of the original "sub compacts" this car offered amazinf fuel economy.

2004 fiesta starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 03:30 PM
Default 2004 fiesta starting problems

Hi, I'm new to this forum so here goes!
I've just bought my other half a 04, 1.4 fiesta and were experience starting problems, the engine spins over with out firing and then coughs into life and idles lumpy. It's been to fords garage, had coil pack leads and plugs changed but still no change, any advice on where to look next?

Old 05-28-2012, 07:36 PM

Welcome to the site.
Did you get any maintenance history with the vehicle?
If not, there are a few things you might look into, one is the fuel filter.
Not knowing your experience, but I would look into the EGR system.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:45 PM

I would suggest you to check on the quality of the fuel you purchased from the station. Have you tried another gas station? Otherwise I guess u need excess lubrication inside the engine parts like piston and shafts.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:31 AM

Hi,
The car came with full service history, we've just had a service by fords, and it's been in 3 times since we bought it. Fords have also updated the engine management and carried out a pressure test on the fuel lines. The car also does this even when hot if it's stood for a few minutes as you can imagine its getting very frustrating.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:13 AM

There are many possibilities for the problem
Let's look at a few.
If for instance there was a problem with leaky injectors . When the engine is shut down there is still some pressure in the fuel system and a leaky injector(s) could allow fuel to leak into the cylinder and cause an over rich condition that could make starting a little more difficult until the extra fuel is cleared out.
The electronics of the systems use the last readings before the engine is shut down for starting settings when restarting. There could be a possible electrical problem.
Many times searches are done looking for the result when the cause is not really apparent. Believe it or not a thorough check of the charging system should be done since the electrical performance influences just about everything that is electrical.
That is why some problems require special equipment to pin down and can require multiple attempts to locate.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:36 PM

We're picking the car up from fords tomorrow. They now say it needs a new fuel pump, but are insure as to wether it will do the job even though they carried out a fuel pressure test last week.
We are getting pretty fed up with it at the moment !

Old 06-01-2012, 04:02 PM

Let's take a look at the problem possibly from a different perspective.
Usually, if the fuel pump is suspected a pressure test. volume test, and a scope test of the pump motor will reveal whether the pump is defective or not. Some problems show up only when warmed up.
Not to poo poo the diagnosis, but if they say the fuel pump is defective , they should have the equipment to thoroughly check it and make a definite diagnosis.
I would be very hesitant to have the pump replaced with a loophole that it may not correct the problem. That job can run a few hundred dollars and then to be told "we can't be sure".
I would suggest that you try a different dealership. Don't be afraid to ask why they feel the work proposed is required. That's how we learn. The more you learn about your vehicle the easier it is to part with your hard earned money and some of the pain of repair is easier to take. The bonus is the problem should be cleared up.