Fairlane/Falcon/Galaxie/Gran Torino There 1960s classics have not been forgetten, whether it is on the dragstrip or at any car show, they are still all well represented.

1963 Fairlane help

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 11:32 PM
Default 1963 Fairlane help

Hello!

This is my first post here, so forgive me if I mess anything up.

I need some advice concerning my car. I have a 1963 Fairlane 500 sedan. This is my first car, and I've had it for about a year now. It has a 221 V8 and a 2-speed ford-o-matic transmission. I got the car for $3500, and for that price, it's in great condition. However, I'm looking to do some things to it...

For starters, I would like a 3-speed automatic transmission. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not one of these stupid kids that wants to put a gigantic engine & high-performance gear on my car. It's an old 4-door car with the smallest V8 available (in 1963) and I typically drive it as such. However, whenever I hit the gas, I expect it to move. Its performance is anemic, at best. Unfortunately, I have a pretty low budget. If someone could point me in the right direction on this matter, I would greatly appreciate it.

When I first got the car, it started and drove just fine. Sometimes it would stall if you didn't let it run for long enough, but those times were few & far between. However, I went to SC (I live in NC) one time & while there, it started acting up; when I would start it, it would run fine for a moment, then the engine would gradually start sputtering, almost like it wasn't getting enough gas. However, if I let it sit for a few minutes, it would quit that & start running fine. I promptly took the car in to the local repair shop, where they pointed out the carburetor was leaking & needed rebuilt, which I had them do. However, the engine still has that problem to this day. I'll also add that sometimes the engine will sound fine in park/when I first put it in drive, but if I try to drive it, I can't get it to go above 30 mph.

It was pretty cold outside back when I first got the car, and I know these old cars can be cold-natured, but it only started doing this a few months ago. I don't have a whole lot of knowledge of the mechanics of cars, but this sounds to me like some problem with the fuel system. Any thoughts?

Okay, last thing. I'm looking to install a new radio under the dash. I have the radio & the under-dash mounting kit/box. My initial plan was to mount it below where the original radio sits, but when looking at that area, I realized that the radio interferes with not only the ash tray, but also the heater vent. Does anybody have any suggestions as to where to mount the radio & how?

-also, on a side note, I've entertained the thought of getting some kind of green lighting to put in the original radio (it doesn't work, so I see no harm in messing with it) and wiring it so it will come on when the dashboard lights are turned on. If anyone knows of where I could acquire some kind of green LED lights, or knows how I could wire them to my dash lights, please let me know.

Thanks a lot!