Fairlane/Falcon/Galaxie/Gran Torino There 1960s classics have not been forgetten, whether it is on the dragstrip or at any car show, they are still all well represented.

1967 GALAXIE

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 08:02 PM
Default 1967 GALAXIE

I am in search of some help on a question that noone has been able to answer. I wanted to know what would be the best transmission to put in my 1967 Ford Galaxie 500 V8 that has a 390 (6.4L).
So far I get alot of like suggestions to get a chevy motor and just put a 350 turbo into it, but I want to keep it all Ford. Please if anyone can help me in any way I would really appreciate it.

Oh yea and another thing, I wanted to know what would be good parts and stuff to get so that I can make my car accelerate fast and maybe even make it a drag car. Post away please.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:27 PM
Default RE: 1967 GALAXIE

Only a Chevy jerk would say something so stupid on a Ford forum. Chevy's suck. There. I said it. There's not been a Chevy a Ford couldn't beat if it were tuned up right. Corvettes aren't that spectacular either. I knew of one that cracked/splitthe whole floor pan right in half. That's quality right there. Their transmissions suck ***** too. You can't EVER change the bell housing on most Chevy transmissions making them incompatible with most other engines. How useless can a Chevy be? That useless. Keep your Ford engine and trans. and beef 'em up. There are all kinds of kits to pep up a C-6 or what have you and the 390 isn't a bad engine - bore it add dual 4 barrel carburetors, a main girdle and new bearings, and a nice cam and bearings. All motors are mostly the same, but older Fords usually cost less because they're not owned by blowhards. I don't understand the word "turbo" coupled with the Chevy transmission because they are one humongous time consuming pain in the neck to disassemble and put back together compared to a 60's or 70's Ford trans. If "turbo" means slow they got that right. Reaching through the bellhousing (unremovable) and up to your elbows in sharp transmission edges. If you work on Chevy's a lot I hope you like to bleed. I have something against all these stupid one-piece hassles started by Garbage Motors' junk. Yeah - they had a crappy factory engine bearing design in those old Chevy's too. Couple that with covering up a deadly brake pedal malfunction where it can drop off and those GM vehicles are real weiners'. You couldn't pay me enough to have me own one. Ford bodies have nicer lines too. Chevies look like something a kid did with his hammer and a sheet metal brake. Then there's the stupid HUMMER. What a waste the Army wasted money on them instead of Jeeps. The wheel base is too far apart for any war vehicle - plus the price is too high. Talk about screwing U.S. citizens for an extra buck. Can you see any reason I would hate being pested by Chevy people? At any rate you have a Ford platform - now Step number two: imagine what you'd like from it. Step three: Do it. Most drag cars require a driveshaft loop. You may want to hunt one down that allows for proper axle movement.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:18 PM
Default RE: 1967 GALAXIE

whats up i got a 67 as well and im just gonna take that 390 out and put in a 302. its lighter and eaisier to find parts for plus its a higher rpm motor