Fairlane/Falcon/Galaxie/Gran Torino There 1960s classics have not been forgetten, whether it is on the dragstrip or at any car show, they are still all well represented.

1974 Gran Torino

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 09:08 PM
Default 1974 Gran Torino

Looking for a few heads to bounce off here. I have a 1974 Gran Torino I have been working on little by little. Hoping to get it at least road worthy enough to get to and from work in.

With a little love it starts up nicely. engine does not sound too bad. The idle has a little trouble keeping up.
Recently I have replaced the battery, spark plugs, air filter, fuses, cleaned the carburetor. Just little things here and there when I can fit time in my busy work schedule and finances. have a thermostat and belts in the back ready to be changed out as well.
Anyway the question I was getting at. When I drove it home I notice a loss of power when going up hill, my foot almost to the floor trying to get up this hill. Where could it be going? is it my fuel line? maybe a clog in the muffler?
I'm a little new to this and learning as I go here and there. Any suggestions would be lovely and thank you for your time.
My coming paycheck will definitely be going to flushing all the liquids out and replacing them.

Old 06-27-2016, 08:12 PM

One quick check you can try and it only requires a vacuum gauge. Connect it to an intake tap and it should read around 19 in vac at idle. Now raise the RPM and see what the vacuum gauge does. If it drops some ,but holds steady, OK. If the vac rdg goes down further and further while holding the same RPM, it could indicate an exhaust restriction. Don't forget to check the fuel filter.

Old 07-23-2016, 11:35 PM

Blow out the gas line, drop the tank and clean it... 40 years of gunk in it.
and the filter...replace it..
ON my Packard it had the small glass fuel bowl, very cute..so I'm coming back
from Vegas one year, on hwy 15, I was doing around 55, just cruising, then
I decided to clean out the cylinders and gas it a little more gas, well the car
just shut right down. Can't run to the Packard dealer for help, but off chance
I just removed the ceramic filter, got back on the road and hit 70mph with no
problem..