Fairlane/Falcon/Galaxie/Gran Torino There 1960s classics have not been forgetten, whether it is on the dragstrip or at any car show, they are still all well represented.

GT Ranchero engine size newbie question?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 09:05 PM
Default GT Ranchero engine size newbie question?

Hello,
Newbie to the forum. Just looking to buy a 77 Ranchero GT. What size engine options did this model come with? 400m, 460?How do I identify which motor is which?

I'm looking to turn the car into a track car. Any advice?
Thanks in advance!

Old 08-11-2007, 12:48 AM
Default RE: GT Ranchero engine size newbie question?

For drag racing there aren't always as many rules (which is a lot less a pain in the ***). But on a regular track you may want to ask management at the track you want to race on if they can tell you what rules they go by as far as what can or can'tbe on the car. Most non-drag places - trim comes off, some or all rear glass is removed, roll cages may be necessary to weld in, etc. Just for general info. the 400M (351 Factory Modified into a 400 cu. in.) engine isn't exactly like a 400 engine. 460 would have been a large powerplant to fit under the hood. Honestly the larger engines are more for towing or hauling loads as the bottom end of acceleration is forceful but usually lacking slightly. The engine of choice is nearly impossible to find in most salvage yards. But in '77 the small block 351W had a lot too much emissions crap on anyhow to be a good runner - just likeall engines - carbon blows out the heads clogs the converter(s) and blows the motor in sssllllooooowwww death. The higher the miles on the motor -the more carbon and oil bypass - the faster the converters go splat. The Rancheros had 351's and 302's maybe 400's or 460's? You could try a search engine - type in "ranchero" or "ford ranchero" to try to find some extra info. I was going to buy a Ranchero once upon a time. I think the overall look of the GT beats the s*** out of the old el crapinos. Rancheros were around I believe since the 60's like the Broncos. The old Broncos even had fold-flat windshields I'm pretty sure. It's sad the good cool things car companies lose over time and argument. Like the '76 Ford Elite E-brake - they should make 'em like that to this day. Heck - they should all be like a '35 Ford and have brake rods. Scr** this rotted hydraulic lines junk. I'd rather NEVER fix my brake linesagain. Honestly car companies and garages alike are just out for the hassle to rustle up some cash. Yee f***in' ha!!! We're paying for brakes and everything else they add FOR us. There I go rambling on again. I hope I at least hit on the question some. If you're looking for a good racer - look for higher gears in the rear axle to get you up to speed. A 3.25 (3-1/4) axle is even a little low to race with.

Old 08-12-2007, 03:38 PM
Default RE: GT Ranchero engine size newbie question?

Thanks for the info. After some digging we have found that we have a 70's 460 w/ c6 and 9" rearend. It also has different intake and carb. We'll try to get it running over the next few weeks.

We need to part out some pieces. Any idea the best place to list these? We're thinking the OEM rims, glass, leather buckets and GT gages.
thanks
Rob