Fairlane/Falcon/Galaxie/Gran Torino There 1960s classics have not been forgetten, whether it is on the dragstrip or at any car show, they are still all well represented.

I rolled my 66 Custom 500

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 08:57 AM
Default I rolled my 66 Custom 500

I'm working on restoring or at the very least, stabilizing my 66 Custom 500. I have already pulled the front clip, engine, trans, and frame so you can see that I'm well on my way (to the Looney Bin)!

I saw this "jig" on the interweb and watched a couple of Youtubers roll there cars so that they could work on the bottom side of floor pan. I decided to give it a try. My challenge is/was that I haven't gutted the car yet and the 66 Custom is a little heavier than the unibody cars that I saw this used on. I beefed up the jig, adding some front to back stringers to remove any worries I had about the thing collapsing under the weight of the body, which I estimate is in excess of 2000 lbs. Last night I gave it try and rolled my car. Here are some pictures.

Attached Thumbnails I rolled my 66 Custom 500-dsc00412.jpg  
Old 11-21-2013, 09:08 AM

Here are a couple more pictures...

I am trying to schedule the water/glass blaster guy to come and spray the bottom of the floorpan on November 29th. I might have him do the frame, rear diff, several old OE steel wheels and perhaps the front end sheet metal. Here is a link to my local water/glass sprayer; Welcome to Mobile Blast Man.com a cleaner, faster, Safer way to blast!!!

If anybody in the forum would like to watch; it will be happening at TechShop Detroit-Allen Park, 800 Republic Drive, Allen Park, MI 48101 (if you wish to mapquest/google it). Here is a link to their website; TechShop is America's 1st Nationwide Open-Access Public Workshop -- TechShop Detroit, Michigan

I'll update this posting if the date changes and once I am able to get a time of day nailed down

Attached Thumbnails I rolled my 66 Custom 500-dsc00413.jpg   I rolled my 66 Custom 500-dsc00410.jpg   I rolled my 66 Custom 500-dsc00408.jpg  
Old 11-21-2013, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Saw that wood rotary build style too.. Looks like a nice job!

I'm just finishing up some refresh work on the underside my 69 Pontiac, all the sheet metal is complete, all done on my 2 post car lift. Work fine, but was a neck cramper looking up. Was going to build a rotisserie but didn't want to have to store it or leave it outside. Wet media blasting would seem to be affective to remove heavy materials/rust/paint, but creates a surface rust again. Especially on cast.

Keep us posted on the progress..

Attached Thumbnails I rolled my 66 Custom 500-temporary-145.jpg  

Last edited by Hayapower; 11-21-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:57 AM

A hoist would be nice. A two car garage in my backyard would be great. The place where I'm working on the car has a drive on hoist. However, I cannot leave the car on the hoist indefinitely or even overnight unless I'm going to be there first thing in the morning. I need permission to leave it in the shop overnight as well. This means everything I do has to be portable so I can get it in/out of the shop when I want to work on it and back out when I'm done for the day. Or just work outside!

There is an additive in the blaster water than is supposed to inhibit rust for 48-72 hours. A phosphate compound of some sort. Hopefully, since it's cold out which pushes the humidity levels low, the flash rust will hold off until I get paint/rust proof coating on floorpan.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:42 AM

I have confirmed the date and time for "The Mobile Blast Man" to come and blast the floorpan and misc other parts/pieces.

Weather permitting (meaning no rain and hopefully not to far below freezing) it is scheduled for November 29th, 2013 at 9:30 am at the Techshop in Allen Park, MI.

Maybe someone in the area has a similar project and would like to see what this stuff can do or at the very least, come and talk to the guy to see if he can meet your blasting needs.