Fairlane/Falcon/Galaxie/Gran Torino There 1960s classics have not been forgetten, whether it is on the dragstrip or at any car show, they are still all well represented.

No Go 0 Show

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 10:20 AM
Default No Go 0 Show

hello everyone, my first post should almost come off as a R.I.P. message for my car but i'm not willing to call it dead yet even with all its problems...

i have a 1971 Galaxie 500 powered by a 6.6L 400 v8, stock from the ground up right down to the 2v motorcraft carb, and C6 trans. but as of a week ago its parked in the yard.

coming home from work one day it all the sudden began driving like i was in wet cement, it lost all power so in an attempt to limp it home, i was less than 1/4 mile away it died, tow it to the house and tear into the motor, find a bent pushrod, so now new rods, new lifters, 2 months ago put on a new fuel pump, rebuilt the carb, even dropped the gas tank and cleaned out the entire fuel system... changed the oil today, transmission fluid level is perfect... but still crank it up purrrs like a kitten just as it should, engine runs fine but it will only baby step along no matter how much gas you give it, could the transmission be shot? or just hurt? it rolls perfectly smooth no jerking or lurching like the tranny is slipping it just refuses to get up and go so i'm at a loss for ideas, any help you guys could give would be great, thanks in advance for any ideas

Old 12-02-2007, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: No Go 0 Show

Does the engine rev up in place?? without it in gear..

Old 12-12-2007, 12:10 AM
Default RE: No Go 0 Show

Just offhand got the notion of the torque converter being bad. Also new lifters are nothing without new camshaft (always replace in sets of cam AND lifters). Cams usually wipe out pretty good along with their lifters. And if you're putting in the cam - might as well add new cam bearings so you don't have to go back there for a long time to come. Transmission doesn't need to be jerking or lurching to be slipping - that usually only occurs if there is material left to make that happen - and often when the trans is hot. If you decide to replace your torque converter you may as well dive in to replace the clutch plates in the tranny while you're there. I usually replace front and rear seals (check rear bushing first) and pan gasket and trans filter also while I'm there and then don't look at it for at least ten years. When checking rear bushing in translook for looseness of driveshaft front in trans. rear (tailshaft) housing. Also check brakes (they can creep up and die on ya' over the years).