Fairlane/Falcon/Galaxie/Gran Torino There 1960s classics have not been forgetten, whether it is on the dragstrip or at any car show, they are still all well represented.

Turbo charging my falcon

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 08:39 PM
Exclamation Turbo charging my falcon

Ok I refuse to stuff a v8 in my falcon and inline classics is too pricey I got a free turbo setup for a 170 wondering if anyone else has tried this and if so any words of advice

Old 11-30-2013, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Goldenrufus
Ok I refuse to stuff a v8 in my falcon and inline classics is too pricey I got a free turbo setup for a 170 wondering if anyone else has tried this and if so any words of advice
Haven't done this, here is why.

If you can't afford the cylinder head/ intake upgrades available from the Aussies, or internals/etc, then maintaining a turbo powered car is going to drive you to selling it.

Supercharging is simpler and, with the older cars, more effective. What source are you getting oil from for that turbo? and what kind of exhaust are you going to get if you aren't going to spend money on "inline classics"(assuming heads internals etc)?

It's nice to have a turbo kit for a 170 though, what kind of carb does the kit ask for? Does it have anything besides the parts (instructions)? if not, how do you know the parts are all complete?

Or, if these questions and responses seem stupid, the better question is: how do WE know? Put a little more info into your post.

Final word of GENERAL advice: I would stick to natural aspiration in a I6 car due to the tendency for them to heat up quick. The long passage of water makes cylinder 1 always run hot- add forced induction and you will likely overheat anywhere as often as I did in Palm Desert.