Ford Contour While only built on a short time span, the Contour was very popular with people of all driving styles, from the base model making for a great family car, to the SVT making a great track toy.

Ford Contour 98 fault code P0117: Engine coolant temperature circuit low input

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 08:40 PM
Default Ford Contour 98 fault code P0117: Engine coolant temperature circuit low input

Hi folks,
My Ford Contour 98 has it Check Engine light lite, after having it diagnosed the printout says:
Fault code P0117: Engine coolant temperature circuit low input

The fan is working and turns on after about 10" of having started the car; coolant level is OK and car is working good - no overheat symptoms.
I guess the fan remains on permanently after that.

I am advised to change the temperature sensor and/or wiring, and then have the computer reset.

It makes sense... can I do this myself (moderate mechanical abilities...) ? Going to the auto parts supplier I see the sensor in about $18.

Can anybody give me a tip / suggestion / recommendation on this ?

Old 04-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Default RE: Ford Contour 98 fault code P0117: Engine coolant temperature circuit low input

I reply to myself... I finally replaced the sensor, which cost some $18. Then I reset the computer (pulled fuses as per indication of other posting in the forum), and the check engine light was gone...
But after driving a little, it came on again... I checked then the wiring to the sensor, as it was no so good... put some good quality insulation tape, reset the computer again... check engine light gone at startup.

The car made it thru the state inspection and got its sticker... but about 20' after leaving the inspection, that damned check engine light came on again.
Several days later it turned off by itself... until the next time in put gas. After that it has remained lit. No idea if the same error code will show when diagnosed. (The gas cap was replaced for a new one as part of the troubleshooting.).