Ford Crown Victoria The crown victoria, the choice of police forces all over the United States due to its size and available V8 engine

02 Grand Marquis short in the transmission harness?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 07:48 AM
Default 02 Grand Marquis short in the transmission harness?

Hi all. Im finally getting this car put back together after the problems I detailed in my "Loud top end tick" thread. After I got the motor back together I cranked it up for a couple minutes with no water cooling just to make sure it would run, and it did. But a couple minutes later the motor sputtered out and the 30 amp fuse for the powertrain computer blew. In my troubleshooting I decided to try a 40 amp fuse for a couple seconds so I would know if its a short to ground. In doing so, the orange/white wire going from the firewall into the blue transmission connector, melted a little. I am going to get much deeper into it today, but maybe someone knows what this wire feeds or has a schematic diagram of the whole tranny circuit you can post? Im just trying to figure out what got shorted and why. Maybe an O2 sensor. Thx!!!

Old 01-10-2014, 03:11 PM

Ok I traced it down with a toner and an ohm meter. I can't possibly stress how handy a tone/probe kit is, when you don't have schematics to work with. The orange/white wire in the transmission harness, goes to post-cat O2 sensor connector on the passenger side, the bottom-right pin (when looking at the female connector from the front, with the securing tab pointing up). I simply disconnected that O2 sensor, popped a 30a fuse back in, and the PCM hung in there for another 2 minute test.

Now.. I presume the O2 sensor is actually the culprit, and not something else.. maybe it's simply pulling too much current. Is this a common problem? Any insight would be appreciated.