Ford Crown Victoria The crown victoria, the choice of police forces all over the United States due to its size and available V8 engine

1985 ford ltd brake fluid-water

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 12:30 PM
Default 1985 ford ltd brake fluid-water

I took the car in to the shop and they told me the brake fluid had water in it, and believe they said it was brown and frothy.

About six months ago I bled the brakes and went though a small bottle of fluid. The fluid in the reservoir is clear. Is that enough to get any contamination out?

They also said the transmission fluid was brown and should be replaced immediately. According to my records it was changed 4000 miles ago.

Where would they have found bad brake fluid? I don't have much faith in what they told me but thought I should ask. Thanks.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:58 PM

The real question is; why did you need to bleed the brakes?
The next question is; were you able to open the bleeders for all 4 wheels?
Brake fluid should be replaced every few years because contamination from the copper in the tubing causes problems and sometimes you can even see the green color.
If there is water in the fluid, it does lower the boiling point of the fluid and that can cause loss of braking plus addl contamination. Best to use fresh brake fluid from a new can (probably a quart) and bleed all 4 wheels. DO NOT allow brake pedal to go lower than it usually went, when bleeding because it can destroy the sealing ability of the cups in the master cyl. There are a few ways to do this and the better way is with a pressure bleeder although it can be injected from each wheel position with the equip available. If the master cyl has never been replaced , you might consider replacing it and then you can push the pedal all the way own when bleeding the system because it will not damage the cups since there is no gritty sediment in the bore.
If the trans fluid was recently changed , it will normally turn darker with use unless the trans is slipping and burning the fluid. If it does not have a burnt smell , it should be OK.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:33 PM

The brakes got soft, not sure why. They have been ok for the last 7 months. I bled all 4 wheels and my helper took pedal all the way to the floor. No harm done. I pumped a new small bottle of fluid into the system. Is that enough to clean it out? I don't remember what color it was coming out.

The transmission fluid doesn't smell like it has burned.

Last edited by ba_50; 03-17-2016 at 09:41 AM.