Ford Crown Victoria The crown victoria, the choice of police forces all over the United States due to its size and available V8 engine

1989 Crown Victoria LX -F/Pump Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 09:18 AM
Default 1989 Crown Victoria LX -F/Pump Problem

The vehicle was running properly - Shut engine down - Later, started engine and it ran very rough, died out, eventually started and ran fairly normal but not perfect. A few miles down the road, it died out again. Managed to get it running and drove home. Acted as if it were out of gas.

At home, driveway is slightly inclined. Engine started but ran weird almost like it was out of time, running but not in a normal cylinder firing sequence, just firing here and there at random.

With the hood up and driver's door open, it dawned on me that I could not hear that familiar whirling sound (elec fuel pump) that lasts about a second when the key is turned to the ON position. In the past, that proved to be due to a failed fuel relay which is attached to the inside fender apron on the driver's side.

The fuel pump does run when grounding out the FP lead of the DLC connector.

There are four relays there... I don't remember which one is the fuel pump relay.

Edit 04/30/14 9:05pm - Since I did replace the pump relay years ago, I looked at all the relays... 3 were Ford products, 1 was not. I assume the 1 that is not a Ford product is the pump relay so that's the one I replaced this time. Will let you know the results shortly.

Last edited by Joe Reeves; 04-30-2014 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Further thought on which is pump relay.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:40 AM

In replacing that fuel pump relay and turning the key to the ON position, or grounding out the FP lead of the DLC connector... I could hear the electric fuel pump running. The vehicle started properly and ran/performed normally from 04/30/14 to 05/07/14.

On 05/07/14, I noticed a slight hesitation when applying throttle on the highway. Then later, simply moving at an idle speed from the development mail box unit to my driveway, a distance of about 300 feep or so, the vehicle stopped as if running out of gas. It started again without any problem and enabled me to drive up my driveway to a park position.

I checked the other day to see if I could hear the electric pump running via the key ON or grounding the DLC and at that time, I wasn't sure if it ran or not... I don't think it did. I'll be checking it again today (wearing my hearing aids) and will report back.

Edit: Same day, 05/07/14, a few hours later, I carefully checked to hear the electric fuel pump running for that normal one second run when turning the key to the ON position... the pump gave a one second run each and every time I turned the key to the ON position. The vehicle ran normally throughout my afternoon shopping event.

Last edited by Joe Reeves; 05-12-2014 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Message Continuation
Old 05-14-2014, 02:46 PM

just in case you didn't know this already. it sounds to me that you either have a clogged fuel filter or the fuel pump has gotten too weak and can't provide the fuel pressure for that engine. my advise is change the filter and if that don't work then you may have to replace the fuel pump

Old 05-15-2014, 05:11 AM

why not check it first?

Old 05-16-2014, 04:57 AM

You might consider this, if you can and feel up to it, some places will allow you to rent a fuel pressure gauge. Just connect it to the schrader valve on the fuel rail and get an idea what the fuel pump is doing. If to your knowledge it has never been replaced it could be as stated by grindman, getting tired. Also, you are testing it before spending $$ and it could be something like a poor connection/ground for the fuel pump itself. When you don't have access to the equip to check it , you don't have much choice and just replace it, hoping that was the problem. What do you think about checking it out ?

The fuel pressure spec for your engine is 30 - 45 psi.

Last edited by hanky; 05-16-2014 at 05:03 AM.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:54 PM

Sorry for the lengthy delay... been tied up with other matters. Anyhow.........

Four months after replacing that fuel relay, all is still well with the fuel system of the 1989 Ford Crown Victoria... BUT... should it act up again, I'll be doing the checks as stated in the above replies. Many thanks fellows.

Old 09-28-2014, 06:00 AM

Good to hear from you Joe, glad everything is going well !