Ford Crown Victoria The crown victoria, the choice of police forces all over the United States due to its size and available V8 engine

1993 Mercury Grand Marquis transmission + other questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 09:50 PM
Default 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis transmission + other questions

I know it's a Mercury but then again the Crown Vic and the Merc are one and the same. :P

I'm a Mopar person by nature but recently my family purchased our first Ford product. My mom's Town and Country was T-boned, and although it protected her very well, it was totaled. Last week we bought what seemed like a great deal, a 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis. I looked it over as best I could, and with the exception of a window motor, a driver's seat, and a couple pieces of trim everything seemed to be working great. We've been driving the car since Thursday, and I've gotten to learn more about it, including some issues.

[ul][*]Driver's seat frame broken (fixed)[*]Passenger window motor is dead (will fix next weekend)[*]check engine light has come on when car is warm but never hurts the car's performance (I'm thinking O2 sensor)[*]ground wire needs to be reattached (will do tomorrow)[*]a/c works great when it works, but sometimes only blows hot air[*]he big one...transmission[/ul]
Tonight we were driving it on some errands. When I put the car in reverse to back up out of a parking spot the car should shudder and barely go backwards....it was as if the parking brake was on (which it wasn't) This just started happening, and its till shifts it's forward gears fine...is the transmission going? I hope not as I'd hate to have bought a money pit. Oh, and I should add, that I just went outside and moved the car, it's been off for a few hours now and it backed up fine. Transmission fluid is pink and at normal level by the way.

Thank you!