Ford Crown Victoria The crown victoria, the choice of police forces all over the United States due to its size and available V8 engine

2000 Crown Vic PI. Need Some Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 12:05 PM
Cool 2000 Crown Vic PI. Need Some Help Please

Good day all.

I just got a 2000 crown vic pi V8 from a dealer and oh boy is it used.

Problems.
Car shakes at 40mph. Entire front shakes, plus the steering wheel JUMPS up and down with the shaking.

Speedometer is off by 10mph.

Transmission "slips" into 3rd gear. You hear it rev and not switch, let off gas then push back on it and it goes into gear. I am having that looked at soon though.

Trunk leaks from the sides.

That's about it so far. Other than those issues, if you can tell me what else I should do/replace/fix please let me know!

Thanks in advance to everyone!!

Old 04-11-2015, 09:41 PM

The front end/steering shake is probably tire related. Have the front end inspected for worn parts and rebalance or replace the front tires. If the old tires showed irregular tire wear, get an alignment.

Speedo could be off from wrong size tires.

A slipping trans will probably need a replacement. Slipping means burnt friction material that will be circulating throughout the trans/valve body. Police/"taxi trans are roasted from all the stop/starts. Get it out, flush the trans lines, rad, cooler. You could check for doc....slip conditions will usually set codes. If the fluid is burnt you need a rebuild.

The trunk may be leaking from a previous repair. Get in the trunk with a light and have someone spray all over the rear glass and trunk area with a garden hose. The leak may be through a body seam, taillight seal or rear glass.