Ford Crown Victoria The crown victoria, the choice of police forces all over the United States due to its size and available V8 engine

Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 12:40 PM
Default Electrical Problem

I need some help with an electrical problem. I replaced the stock radio in my 2011 police interceptor and installed a pair of Hella driving lights. I used a relay for the lights so they would draw current directly from the battery. I tapped the power supply to the radio and ran it to a switch that operates the relay. I didn't think this would be a problem since the power from the radio source was only operating the relay and not the lights themselves.

I blew a fuse while using the radio and lights at the same time. This circuit operates the radio and the power windows. It uses a 7.5 amp fuse. The only fuse I had available was a 10 amp. I know that's not a good move, but I put it in thinking it would be okay. That fuse blew, too. After replacing it with a 7 amp fuse, the radio and power windows don't work. I never smelled anything burning. I can't figure out what is wrong now.

Does anyone have any idea what I may have screwed up?

Old 07-30-2016, 02:42 PM

For those of us that don't know, FORDS do not like add ons/ changes.
Newer vehicles have many modules that are parts of a network. When we take a module(radio), out of the network, communication problems appear because the network as designed and built sees a void in the system now. When we install some "other" part(s) radio ,etc. bigger communication problems show up. What you might try is to reinstall everything as it was and remove anything that was not there originally and most times the problems will go away, but not always because some modules may lose their programming and need to be reprogrammed. Aftermarket sellers don't always tell the purchaser about these potential problems. That said,

whenever a fuse blows especially a larger than original size fuse, it is usually due to an overload in the circuit or a direct short in the circuit either accidental or technician induced.
You may have the relay wiring incorrectly connected, don't know at this point. Voltage spikes from add on equipment that don't provide for suppression of these spikes create unbelievable problems, expensive ones too!