Ford Crown Victoria The crown victoria, the choice of police forces all over the United States due to its size and available V8 engine

Pump In Fuel Tank Runs Constantly Even With Key Off

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 09:26 AM
Default Pump In Fuel Tank Runs Constantly Even With Key Off

The battery in my wifes car went dead. Upon installing a new battery, I heard a hum as soon as I placed the battery cables onto the battery terminal.

Inspecting the vehicle, I found that the hum originated at the gas fill door. Opening the filler door and removing the gas cap, it was obvious that the pump was running within the gas tank.

The key is in the OFF position but the pump within the gas tank runs as long as the battery is connected. I assume that it should only run when the ignition key is in the ON position.

What would cause this problem?

Old 11-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Pump In Fuel Tank Runs Constantly Even With Key Off

Sounds like a failed closed fuel pump relay.. What year is your CV?

Old 11-03-2008, 03:15 PM

Your prompt reply is most appreciated Hayapower.

My wife's Crown Victoria is a 1989 4dr model, 302 V8, PS, PB, AC, loaded, and in mint condition. I just checked at the gas fill cap..... that pump is still running.

If you could tell me what that relay looks like and where it might be located, that would be a great help.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

If I remember correctly, they were mounted on the left/drivers side of the engine bay in a panelabove the inner fender.. 'Tap' the relayand see if the pump shuts off..

Old 11-04-2008, 06:43 PM

Hayapower...... The new Maxx 65S battery that I installed was discharged due to that pump running. I checked it (battery)previously with a hydrometerbefore installing and all cells registered 1.275/1.300 specific gravity. However, after charging for an hourwith a commercial charger (I'm a marine mechanic), the battery is charged BUT the specific gravity does not register at all with the hydrometer.... I mean it registers absolutely nothing! I checked the hydrometer on my truck battery and it registers normally. I'm at a complete loss to understand this.

The relays.... I found a few of them (four)secured in a shieldedcover type arrangement where you said to look for them (inside top portion of left front fender). They're unmarked so I have no idea which one would be the fuel pump relay. I had to unbolt (2 screws)the relay bracket assembly in order to gain access to them. I "tapped" on all of them, then went back to the fuel tank access pipe to listen. The pump was now silent. Apparently, as you suggested, the relay was sticking.

The four relays are different colors..... Black, Green, Beige, and Blue.

I'll go to the Advance Auto store in the morning to see if they have a service manual for this 1989 FordCrown Victoria which might shed some light onwhich relay I need to replace.Any furtheradvicewould be appreciated.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

S/B correct for your M/Y..

[IMG]local://upfiles/6756/1447C16B2C3846DBA86905035FC5E9E4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-04-2008, 10:54 PM

Thank you, that tells the tale pertaining to the relay. I do appreciate your help.