Ford Crown Victoria The crown victoria, the choice of police forces all over the United States due to its size and available V8 engine

Quiet exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 09:20 AM
Default Quiet exhaust

I have a 95 p71 I have hollowed the second converter, put flowmaster super 44s on it, and it is still whisper quiet. I didnt think the police interceptor had resonators in tailpipes but it must, because it is still quiet. First start up in the morning, it rumbles a lil bit, but gets quieter as it warms up. I have been looking at 96 to 01 mustang gt headers and h or x pipes, they look like they would fit, but I want to make sure before I spend the money and try to install. Has anyone done this, or kno if it will work? As I dont want to spend a ton of money at an exhaust shop. I have also thought about cutting the tailpipes off, and just letting them dump behind the axle. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by 95 p71
I have a 95 p71 I have hollowed the second converter, put flowmaster super 44s on it, and it is still whisper quiet. I didnt think the police interceptor had resonators in tailpipes but it must, because it is still quiet. First start up in the morning, it rumbles a lil bit, but gets quieter as it warms up. I have been looking at 96 to 01 mustang gt headers and h or x pipes, they look like they would fit, but I want to make sure before I spend the money and try to install. Has anyone done this, or kno if it will work? As I dont want to spend a ton of money at an exhaust shop. I have also thought about cutting the tailpipes off, and just letting them dump behind the axle. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
What's wrong with you people? You drill out a catalytic converter so your car can make more noise and put out more pollutants, and still not happy about it? Why don't you just cut the exhaust right off your engine's exhaust manifolds ... that'll make it louder than an airplane on the runway. Just keep the oxygen sensors on, that will at least keep your engine's PCM happy ... sort of.

If you want a roaring engine, keep working cats in place and cut out the end mufflers only. The cats are not there to reduce engine noise or power, there's a lot more to them than that. I'm sure you know that, and I hope you're aware that a car without working cats will not pass an emissions test, should your car ever need to pass one ...

Old 07-07-2012, 12:54 PM

if that car was mine I'd run straight pipes out the tail with no mufflers just make sure you leave the cats it will sound like a real hot rod. I had a 92 ford f150 that was done that way run really well until it just quit running

Old 07-08-2012, 10:51 AM

you all must be young yet, I try to keep my car's as quite as possible!! LOL

Old 07-08-2012, 11:27 AM

what good comes of it if you can't hear the engine run in the first place I know a few things about engines and if I can't hear the exhaust then I can't very well tell what the hells going on with it. you can't always tell with eec and scanner.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:10 PM

I've put on high flow aftermarket cats, 2 1/4 in pipes, and Town Car Limo mufflers. At cruise, it's quiet as a kitten. So quiet, I can almost sneak up you at night with no lights. But put the pedal to the metal, and she roars like a lion. Wide-open she is loud and obnoxious at times, but ease her into cruising, as she almost sounds like a Prius.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:53 PM

x2 with using big cats...

Old 05-05-2013, 10:04 AM

I would like my 95 Grand Marcuis to sound as close to a 5.0 powered fox body Mustang with aftermarket pipes as i can. I don't plan on installing long tube headers anytime soon based on their expense. But i do plan to run Flowmaster mufflers on it. What is my best route to achieve this sound and noise level?

Old 05-06-2013, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Towguy76
I would like my 95 Grand Marcuis to sound as close to a 5.0 powered fox body Mustang with aftermarket pipes as i can. I don't plan on installing long tube headers anytime soon based on their expense. But i do plan to run Flowmaster mufflers on it. What is my best route to achieve this sound and noise level?
Use MagnaFlow or Cherry Bomb mufflers. Do not use anything that is chambered. Go with a straight muffler. You should get the sound you want that way. First try looking in the junkyards and talk to them. They may have had a wreck out there with a straight-thru muffler. Then use adapters to fit them into you exhaust system with the stock pipes.

OR you could go through YouTube and watch some of the muffler clips of Mustangs with the 4.6L until you find a sound you like. They usually have what mufflers listed they used to get the sound. I listened to a sound clip yesterday where the guy took the muffler completely off a 2005 Hyundai Elantra (using straight pipes). At first I thought it was a straight-six Mustang from the 1960's.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by jdmeaux
Use MagnaFlow or Cherry Bomb mufflers. Do not use anything that is chambered. Go with a straight muffler. You should get the sound you want that way. First try looking in the junkyards and talk to them. They may have had a wreck out there with a straight-thru muffler. Then use adapters to fit them into you exhaust system with the stock pipes.

OR you could go through YouTube and watch some of the muffler clips of Mustangs with the 4.6L until you find a sound you like. They usually have what mufflers listed they used to get the sound. I listened to a sound clip yesterday where the guy took the muffler completely off a 2005 Hyundai Elantra (using straight pipes). At first I thought it was a straight-six Mustang from the 1960's.
Thanks for the input. Problem is, i am not a fan of glasspack, or glasspack style mufflers. They sound ok at idle, but i can not stand the sound they make when you put your foot into it. The brap brap brap sound they make just makes me cringe. The car still has all 4 cats installed and intact on it. I plan to convert it to dual exhaust since it has a single on it now. So my plans right now i guess are to buy a new stock H pipe, both new stock tails (i work at a shop and can get these parts from one of our suppliers at cost, as for the hangers, i have a friend who runs the shop at the local sheriff's office so i got those covered), and put in a section of exhaust tubing in place of each muffler for now and see how it sounds. But again, thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Quiet exhaust