Ford Crown Victoria The crown victoria, the choice of police forces all over the United States due to its size and available V8 engine

So my Crown Vic won't start Battery, Alternator, Starter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 05:40 PM
Default So my Crown Vic won't start Battery, Alternator, Starter?

Hey all!

So, got into my Crown Vic 01 this morning and it was completely dead, no sounds/lights etc.

I have a jump box, I connected it for maybe 30 seconds and it started and got me to work (30 mins away). The jumper said the battery was fully charged.

After work I had exactly the same thing. When jumped it drove fine without the slightest issue.

I took it to Autozone and had a look at the fuses.
I replaced: 25 - 20A Power Point, Cigar Lighter, Emergency Flashers. Would this be indicative of the problem?

The cars performance did not alter. Still needed to use the jumpers to get home.

Is this a clear Starter issue or something else?

Any input appreciated

Old 07-19-2014, 07:06 PM

Just some of the possibilities.
If the battery cables / connections are not what they should be (clean & tight) that could give the charging system a false reading saying the battery is fully charged, cut the charge rate and giving you a discharged battery.
The fuse that was blown, if it was, did supply various circuits without the key being on and something had to cause that fuse to blow. Not all clear here.
The charging system may be putting out just enough to make the lite go out and not enough to recharge the battery.
Yes , the starter may be on it's way out and require additional power to make it operate. Keep in mind poor battery cable connections including a poor ground cable connection at the engine could do this too.
So as you can see there are many reasons for this to happen and some basic checks should be done to eliminate the simple stuff.