Ford Crown Victoria The crown victoria, the choice of police forces all over the United States due to its size and available V8 engine

some newb questions from a converted import guy.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 10:32 AM
Default some newb questions from a converted import guy.

So I just bought a beautiful 1977 mercury marquis. Sold my 05 honda civic si because I needed 4 doors for the kid. Last thing I thought I'd buy is a carburated v8 but at 100k original miles and perfect interior and exterior I couldn't resist. Its very difficult to find anything online about this car and I have some questions that hopefully some of you can answer. Firstly, its a 400 cleveland. It sat for some time in storage and the tank rotted so I went to the junkyard and got that replaced easily enough. But I noticed that later models of the 351s which I'm told are just smaller bore but same as 400 have central or throttle body fuel injection. I'm curious as to whether or not it's feasible to convert to this setup as cold starting isn't difficult but somewhat of an inconvenience. So there's the first question, on to the second, it has a 3 speed trans and as most of my driving is highway I feel like the engine is being pushed harder than Id like. I'm wondering what options there are for a 4spd at least but I have a friend that has a 5spd w/electronic overdrive from a 96 that will definitely bolt up but I'm not sure if that trans requires some sort of ecu or modulator to function properly on such an old vehicle. Like I said I've been into jap cars my whole life so this type of stuff is very new to me. If appreciate any help or ideas thanks. -Don.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

Well,,,

400 wasn't actually a Cleveland. I've done some conversion work, manual-auto and backwards, gas to diesel in the F series way back in the late 70's. The problem or answer usually depends on a donor vehicle availability and how far of a model year spread. Then, down time of the convert vehicle, and always involves a reasonably thick wallet and has to be considered. Electronics, harnesses, drive shaft confige, linkage, fuel delivery ect are some of the hang n points. Emmissions as well if it applies. And trying to convert to an older EFI may not be much of a gain. If the car is really that clean it may be better to try and re sell and pick up a later CV or Marq.

Doable, sure.. But,, kind of like a Harley owner, how much power can I get!? How much money do you have is always the answer.

Last edited by Hayapower; 01-08-2015 at 10:16 AM.