Ford Crown Victoria The crown victoria, the choice of police forces all over the United States due to its size and available V8 engine

Tow capacities for crown vic

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 09:55 PM
Default Tow capacities for crown vic

I am looking to buy used crown victoria between the years of 1997 and 2000. What is the actual tow capacity I've read between 1000 and 2000lbs. Which seems suprisingly low for a body on frame rear wheel drive car with a v8 engine. My escape v6 with tow package can pull up to 3500lbs and its unibody and front wheeel drive?!? If what I have read is accurate is there anything that can be done to increase the capacity i.e. transcooler, helper springs, ect.? Thanks for your input.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:53 PM
Default RE: Tow capacities for crown vic

The older crown vic's had a stronger rear axel, however on the newer ones i.e. a 1997-2000, they replaced the axel and rear end that doesnt have the strength to support to much weight, the interceptors have transmission coolers on them but that would only allow you to tow a little more, like 1500lbs, with out one i wouldnt do over 1000lbs for long distances. Air bag shocks wont help because it wont change the amount of weight on the axel.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:15 PM

crownvic97, What you say is not true and you should not post things unless you know what you are talking about. The older vics have the same axle (ford 8.8) that the 1997 to 2000 have. Also you say that the police interceptors have transmission coolers, yes that is correct, but the mercury grand marquis also has a transmission cooler and the regular crown vics do to I uploaded a picture I got from an ebay auction the guy says it fits the ford crown victoria and the lincoln town car and the grand marquis. If you have ever looked under the hood of a police interceptor you would see that the only extra cooler that the police interceptor has is a engine oil cooler which I uploaded a picture of the lines come right out of the extension of the oil filter housing. How do I know all of this well I work on them. And inline6 with the towing if you go to this web site (uhual they sell hitches) and punch in whatever year of crown victoria you will see the hitches and towing capactiy with what ever vehicle you select. Seems to stay the same through out all of the years I selected did not change during 1997 and 2000 like crownvic97 thinks... and it is spelled axle not "axel".

http://store.uhaul.com/hitches.aspx?src=hitches

I had to upload the Radiator picture here and post again to upload a picture of the engine oil cooler....

[IMG]local://upfiles/16442/59112AB105164B9BAEC42C969BB3B3BD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-02-2008, 10:21 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: coolhandluke...

crownvic97, What you say is not true and you should not post things unless you know what you are talking about. The older vics have the same axle (ford 8.8) that the 1997 to 2000 have. Also you say that the police interceptors have transmission coolers, yes that is correct, but the mercury grand marquis also has a transmission cooler and the regular crown vics do to I uploaded a picture I got from an ebay auction the guy says it fits the ford crown victoria and the lincoln town car and the grand marquis the red arrows are where the lines screw in. If you have ever looked under the hood of a police interceptor you would see that the only extra cooler that the police interceptor has is a engine oil cooler which I uploaded a picture of the lines come right out of the extension of the oil filter housing. How do I know all of this well I work on them. And inline6 with the towing if you go to this web site (uhual they sell hitches) and punch in whatever year of crown victoria you will see the hitches and towing capactiy with what ever vehicle you select. Seems to stay the same through out all of the years I selected did not change during 1997 and 2000 like crownvic97 thinks... and it is spelled axle not "axel".

http://store.uhaul.com/hitches.aspx?src=hitches

[IMG]local://upfiles/16442/2CF1AC30A89F4751BB418D7DBA0D9FAC.jpg[/IMG]