Ford Crown Victoria The crown victoria, the choice of police forces all over the United States due to its size and available V8 engine

Transmission Fluid Change / Cop Chip

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 04:02 PM
Default Transmission Fluid Change / Cop Chip

I have a 2004 CV LX. Great car. I just passed 30K miles and want to have it services. I am confised about whether the trnasmission fluid need sto be changed. The Ford maintenance schedule says that the fluid can go allthe way to 150K miles but when I called the dealer they say it needs a full flush and change every 30K. I ended p taking to to the mechanic at my local Taxi Depot -- he seemed to know what he was talking aobut and he recommends changing it at 50K and then every 30K thereafter.

Does anybody else have any info/ideas about this?

Another transission-related question. When I shift between "D" and "R" there seems to be a lot of play (i.e. when I put it into "R" it will rroll forward a foot or 2 before the gear engages). Is this normal? The fluid level is fine. Is there anything that can help this.

Final question. I heard that there is a "Cop Chip" that can be installed to boost performance. Does anybody have any experience wth this? Is it worthwhile? How much does it cost? What are the trade-offs?

Thanks for any help.

Mark

Old 01-11-2006, 04:48 PM
Default RE: Transmission Fluid Change / Cop Chip

I have a '04 LX Sport. My dealer recommended to have a transmission flush at 30,000. This is the one done thru the transmission cooler lines & all the fluid is removed & replaced. The older method of dropping the pan does not get the old fluid out of the torque converter. I have 33,000 on mine & have had no problems at all with the tranny. Referance "cop chip":, the older models of the CV's, I believe prior to 2003, could have a chip changed. The newer ones, such as yours & mine, no longer have that option. One method is to have your computer "flashed" to delete the rev limiter, (which I found out that my Sport does not have.) Dual exhausts will make a difference, as will changing to a K&N air induction system. in other words your car will breathe better. I changed to glass pack mufflers, (the Sport comes with factory duals) & the K&N system as soon as I took delivery. Mine will run around 125-130 mph with no problem with my stock 3:27 rear & still, (if I keep my foot out of it) & average 24-27 mpg at 70 mph on the highway. This is my 3'rd CV & I always flushed the tranny at 30-35,000 miles with all of them. Hope this gives you some help.

Old 03-07-2006, 12:38 AM

I would recommend either changing the trans fluid or having it done every 50,000 miles. If you decide to do it, make sure they drop the pan and change the filter. Some shops will use a machine that they claim changes all of the fluid without dropping the pan, however you still have the same old filter. I am not sure what year they stopped having the drainplugs on the convertory from the factory, but if yours has it, I would ask to have that drained also. If not, I really wouldn't worry too much about it if you change the fluid/filter regulary at 50,000 miles or close to. Not sure about any "cop chip" but there are ways to improve the firmness of the shifting. Usually done with an aftermarket shift kit, but many seem to have good luck with just changing changing the 1/2 shift acumlulator spring.

Old 04-09-2006, 02:51 AM

ORIGINAL: mmahonzy

Final question. I heard that there is a "Cop Chip" that can be installed to boost performance. Does anybody have any experience wth this? Is it worthwhile? How much does it cost? What are the trade-offs?

Thanks for any help.

Mark
[sm=forgetit.gif] Mark there's no such thing as a "cop chip" what you can do is two things.

1) look in a Junkyard for a police Interceptor of the same year of you CV and and buy the PCM or the "computer" of the car.

2) Buy and SCT X Calibrator with these device you can do a lot of things I mean you can re-program your stock PCM and eliminate the speed limiter,raise the idle,HP,etc. this device is better than buy a Police PCM.

ATT, SNIPER 308.

Old 05-19-2006, 01:12 AM

As for glasspack mufflers they are not designed for vehicles with catalytic converters and will burn up in no time because the exaust is just too hot. but the muffler companies like it cuz then u gotta buy more of them