Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

1989 ford econoline e-350 engine temp gauge not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 05:04 PM
Default 1989 ford econoline e-350 engine temp gauge not working

I've been trying to figure out how to fix my engine temp gauge. I don't know where to start looking to fix the issue. I know there is a sensor somewhere and I can't find pictures of its location and if that's even the problem. It's the 302 v8 engine. I don't know if I should buy an aftermarket gauge to see if that solves the issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:32 PM

The temp sending unit is usually located near the thermostat housing where the upper radiator hose connects to the engine. There could be two senders there. One would have one wire coming off of it and the other would have 2 wires coming off of it.
The single wire one is the temp sensor for the gauge. The 2 wire one is for the engine temp sensor that sends temp info to the vehicle computer.This is where a simple test lite does the job. With the test lite clamp connected to a good ground touch the wire coming off the single sender with the key on ,it should cause the needle on the gauge to move . If it does, the wiring is good , but the sender is not working. If it doesn't the dash unit is probably faulty.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
The temp sending unit is usually located near the thermostat housing where the upper radiator hose connects to the engine. There could be two senders there. One would have one wire coming off of it and the other would have 2 wires coming off of it.
The single wire one is the temp sensor for the gauge. The 2 wire one is for the engine temp sensor that sends temp info to the vehicle computer.This is where a simple test lite does the job. With the test lite clamp connected to a good ground touch the wire coming off the single sender with the key on ,it should cause the needle on the gauge to move . If it does, the wiring is good , but the sender is not working. If it doesn't the dash unit is probably faulty.
thank you I will check it out. Much appreciated

Old 02-11-2016, 03:37 PM

Another quick question for you if you know. Since I have the 302 how big of a starting battery do you think I need ?

Old 02-11-2016, 05:13 PM

That will to a certain extent depend on where you live, how cold it gets, does the vehicle have air conditioning and are there any other than factory built accessory loads.
Battery sales catalogs will have a standard recommendation for what would be considered average loads and use. The battery is supposed to provide sufficient power for starting. The charging system is supposed to be able to provide all the necessary power to, replace what was drawn from the battery to get the vehicle started and any loads while the vehicle is running, not idling. Again depending on charging system output and what accessories you use, factory recommendations are generally sufficient.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:43 AM
Former Sponsor

I have attached the diagram, it may help you locate the part depending on how vague it is. Diagrams for older vehicles can sometimes be a pain. I hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails 1989 ford econoline e-350 engine temp gauge not working-coolant-temp.png  
Old 02-16-2016, 12:42 PM

That will to a certain extent depend on where you live, how cold it gets, does the vehicle have air conditioning and are there any other than factory built accessory loads.
Battery sales catalogs will have a standard recommendation for what would be considered average loads and use. The battery is supposed to provide sufficient power for starting. The charging system is supposed to be able to provide all the necessary power to, replace what was drawn from the battery to get the vehicle started and any loads while the vehicle is running, not idling. Again depending on charging system output and what accessories you use, factory recommendations are generally sufficient.
Thank u very much for the help

Old 02-16-2016, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by LakelandFordParts
I have attached the diagram, it may help you locate the part depending on how vague it is. Diagrams for older vehicles can sometimes be a pain. I hope this helps.
Thank you very much! I'm assuming the green highlighted part is the sensor I'm looking for?

Old 02-17-2016, 07:32 AM
Former Sponsor

That would be correct.