Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

1993 Ford Econoline E250 Ignition problems

Old 08-02-2013, 04:51 PM
Default 1993 Ford Econoline E250 Ignition problems

Some jerk off thief busted into my van a few nights ago when I had it parked at a shopping center.

In his attempt to steal my van, I assume he used some sort of flat metal rod in the ignition cylinder, but was unsuccessful.

When I insert the key into the ignition, The cylinder is locked up tight and won't turn. I figured maybe a flathead would work since it's been attempted theft, But that dosen't work either.

How can I get my van to start up? It's all I have. Either turning the back of the ignition cylinder, or pulling the cylinder out, something..

How much will a new cylinder cost me and how do I install it?

It's a cargo van.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:33 PM

First, a new lock tumbler is not that expensive and most auto supply stores carry them.
Now , to remove it normally you would turn the key to the on position and insert a punch into the hole on the bottom of the steering column just under the steering wheel and depress the button and pull out the old cylinder and insert the replacement tumbler.
But,,,,If you cannot turn the tumbler you may have to break it and remove it piece by piece. Once the tumbler is removed you can use a screwdriver to turn the slot and start the truck. That is the position you would use to install the replacement tumbler , on position.
The only thing is that you will have a different key for ignition and a different key to open the van.