Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

1999 e-350 brake booster installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 08:09 AM
Default 1999 e-350 brake booster installation

So my pedal is working at the top sometimes and other times it goes to the floor. It makes a air whooshing sound when it does go to the floor. A month ago my passenger rear rubber brake line broke in half when I ran over something in my woodlot. I replaced the line and bled the brakes they worked fine until about a week ago. I thought maybe air was still in the line so I bled them twice yesterday morning. Still the pedal is not working. I ordered a brake booster yesterday should be here when football starts today lol... Does this sound like the brake booster?? Thanks.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
There is a little scenerio that takes place when the brake pedal goes to the floor on a vehicle where the brake pedal has only gone down so far each time the pedal was depressed. In the brake master silt/ garbage collects in the bore and as long as the rubber cups don't travel over that trash no leakage occurs when the brake pedal is depressed. It only takes one pass over that trash and the cups get scored and now will fail to hold pressure when the pedal is depressed and that allows the pedal to go to the floor, sometimes with the first brake application other times when holding the pedal depressed. The "Fix" is to replace the master cyl and bleed the system replacing the old brake fluid with fresh non contaminated fluid. If disregarded the trash can get into the anti-lock valves and cause addl problems.
There is a direct link between the pedal and the booster and you should still have braking ability with a questionable booster , however without assist.
I can still stop its sketchy though. Sometimes the front brakes want to slide.

Old 11-22-2015, 03:58 PM

So i changed the booster problem fixed. I had to take the master cylinder off to have enough room to get the booster off. When I bled the brakes the back brakes fluid only dribbles out... Why do you think?ou[QUOtw=hanky;94593]The front disc brakes usually do 80% of the work. There are provisions to prevent rear brake lock-up so the same force is not applied to the rears due to weight transfer to the front. A thorough check of the entire brake system is in order because there are several factors that come into play , among which could be rear anti lock, proportioning,condition of wheel cyls on rear brakes etc.,condition of front pads and calipers to name a few. If any fluid or grease managed to get on the front pads it could cause the ft brakes to grab . As you can see it is nearly impossible to state exactly what is causing the problem without actually looking at all the possibilities in person.[/QUOTE]

Old 11-26-2015, 09:43 AM

UPDATE I flushed entire system. Installed new mc now front brakes are completely locked up. I now have fluid at rear brakes though. Do I change calipers in the front and rubber hoses? I need this van on the road asap I use this van to pull the firewood I deliver to pay my bills. Please please help. Is it the abs module? Thank you folks.

Old 11-26-2015, 06:32 PM

Are you sure the booster installation has not changed the dimension between the booster and rod that goes to the master cylinder preventing it from releasing completely?
You might be able to loosen the bleeder on the front calipers to confirm this.

Last edited by hanky; 11-26-2015 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Are you sure the booster installation has not changed the dimension between the booster and rod that goes to the master cylinder preventing it from releasing completely?
You might be able to loosen the bleeder on the front calipers to confirm this.
No sir not %100. I roughly measured with a tape. A Haynes Manuel said it should be .995 of an inch. I will shorten it tommorow and see if this helps. Thank you so much for your time! Seriously.

Old 11-27-2015, 04:27 PM

Changed calipers and front rubber hoses and new pads problem seems to finally be fixed.