Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

1999 E250 Turning Over But Not Starting

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 09:01 AM
Question 1999 E250 Turning Over But Not Starting

I have a 1999 E250 4.2 v6 with just under 198K. Runs perfect when it runs, but recently I went to the store, shut it off, and when I came out, it started..but starting sputtering then died. It did this 2 or 3 times, now its just cranking over and not starting. I pulled it home. Took a spart plug wire off and and put an old plug on it, and cranked it. Its sparking away. I pulled the air cleaner, and sprayed some starting fluid down the intake. It started for a few seconds. Now what should I do? ANY advice would be appreciated!!!

Old 09-14-2013, 12:05 PM

It seems you isolated the problem to the fuel area.
Do you hear the fuel pump run for the usual 1-2 seconds when you first turn the key on?
If someone bumped your vehicle while parked they could have set off the inertia switch, check that , it should be located just above the passenger side kick panel.
A quick check of the fuel pump fuse might show something. If you don't know which one it is ,check them all.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:03 PM

I do NOT hear the fuel pump come on for the usual 1-2 seconds. I did check the inertia switch. It was pushed in. Im not sure if its suppose to be in or out, so I popped it out. No change. I pushed it back in and left it. Still no change. I opened the power distrib. box under the hood, and put my finger on what I believe is the fuel pump relay, and I can feel it clicking when the key is turned. Is there anything else I can check?

Old 09-15-2013, 06:12 PM

One of the old tricks we used to try was to get under the vehicle and rap the bottom of the fuel tank with a soft mallet or a good kick and try this while cranking the engine if it started it was time to replace the fuel pump assy. The only problem was this trick usually would only work once ,so if you got it to start, have a plan on what you are going to do with it because if it was shut down ,that's where it stayed.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:39 AM

I tried everything. Even the soft tap to the pump with a mallet. From what I see, theres only 2 wires coming out of the fuel pump. One is Red. The other purple. I put a voltometer to it..set it on DC20, and got nothing. Had someone crank it..still nothing. To sum it up..I have spark. It starts with starter fluid shot down the air intake. I put my code reader on it and got no codes. I do not hear the fuel pump turn on for the 1-2 seconds when the key is turned. I was going to swap out the fuel pump..but if im getting no power to it, a new one would be pointless. What am I missing here?

Old 09-17-2013, 05:13 PM

From where I'm standing, there are at least 2 possibilities.
One is you could have the wrong relay the other is if you have the correct relay it may be activating but not closing the circuit and sending power to the fuel pump.
I will check my literature to see if I can locate the exact position of the fuel pump relay.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:04 PM

Instead of going on a wild goose chase get yourself either test lite or voltmeter and check the wires at the inertia switch for getting that 12 volt signal for the 1-2 seconds when you first turn the key on. If you don't have power at that switch I believe the power comes through the CJB central junction box) and the problem may be located in there which if it is you may wind up replacing it. I believe you can try running a jumper wire from a 12 volt supply to the pump at the inertia switch and if the pump runs it would confirm a problem in the cjb.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:00 AM

Is the inertia switch suppose to be pushed in or popped out? Its pushed in right now, and I put a voltmeter up to it, set it for dc20, and turned the key. Nothing. I popped the button out, and the number read 5.55, then started dropping like a countdown. 5.54, 5.53, 5.52....etc

(the battery was near dead while trying this. Its on a charger now)

Old 09-19-2013, 02:48 PM

The inertia switch is connected when the button is pushed down (in). You can try to put the 12 volts to either of the terminals on the switch. One of the wires goes to the fuel pump and the other is the supply . If the supply is open it won't make any difference if you just touch the terminal to hear the pump run.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:58 AM

I appreciate all your help! I had time over the weekend to try everything..but its just not starting. Same as what I already said..its turning over..just not starting unless I spray starting fluid down the intake. The fuel pump is not coming on at all..and no power is getting to it. I tried running wires from the battery directly to the pump..and that didn't even kick it on. I give up. I starting using my personal truck for work. NOT what I wanted to do..but cant get the van started.

Quick Reply: 1999 E250 Turning Over But Not Starting