Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

2004 brakes sticking

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 07:46 PM
Default 2004 brakes sticking

I just had the brakes done. First the back brakes with new rotors,calipers and pads. I then had the front brakes done two weeks later. New rotors and pads. Van was driving perfect for about three weeks, when today I was driving and it felt like I was doing a brake torque. The brake pedal was all the way at the top when i stopped which i thought was strange.I pulled over and could smell the brakes were burning and the wheel on both the front was hot. I thought the caliper was sticking so I gave the caliper on both sides a whack with a hammer. I got back in and drove it. It seemed to be ok. I would pump it a few times when I stopped to make sure it was ok. Pedal would go down like it did before. And no smell. About an hour later after making a few stops and on my way home it did it again. I would have to really give it gas to keep it going. If I took my foot of the gas pedal it would slow down like I was stopping it.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:39 AM

You're not going to like this, but just having the pins the caliper slides on clean and lubricated isn't enough for the calipers to move freely. The calipers have to be removed and the edges the caliper limits against, both upper and lower have to be filed to remove the built up rust so there is some clearance for the caliper to move. That usually solves the sticking caliper problem unless the caliper pistons themselves are binding then the only real cure is to replace the caliper with a rebuilt unit. If the calipers are original then it would be time to consider replacing the front ones too.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:30 AM

Thanks for the reply. Why would the brakes work fine for almost a month and then all of sudden start to stick. I would think that only one would stick and pull to one side when I brake. But they both stick and the front wheels are hot. I didn't check the back wheel to see if they were hot too. Last night after the truck sat in my driveway for several hours, I went to move it and the brakes were fine. It seems that when I drive it for while the problem happens.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:54 AM

I can only assume that it has abs. it being that new and that you just had them all replaced but you might consider that the master cylinder might not be releasing the pressure from the rotors that did happen to my bosses big truck and after doing some research and a few phone calls to the company it finally got fixed and haven't had any problems with the brakes since.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:19 AM

Good point ! And as you know, when things get heated they expand and could be applying some force on the rotors and that could be why they were easier to move once cooled down.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:27 PM

Thanks for all your help. I've been driving it for the past two days and it hasn't done it again. I'm bringing it to a mechanic tomorrow and see if he can find anything. I don't get it, it did it twice in one day and now it seems fine.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:01 PM

have your guy change that master cylinder any way just to make sure it doesn't happen again sometimes they will release and then they don't