Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

2005 econoline transmission prob.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 03:07 PM
Default 2005 econoline transmission prob.

Hey Guys New to this forum. I searched threads and didnt see this question about transmissions. I have a 2005 ford e150 van. Trans. is a 4R75E. Van has been seating up for around 5 or 6 years. Very low miles. Heres the prob. I can put the van in 1st it ok. put it in 2nd its ok. Put it in drive and nothing happens. I can put van in 2nd and once rolling I can shift into drive and it fine. But it will not take off from drive. Van was fine when parked. Is there something I need to do to the transmission because its been seating for so long? Any ideas?

Old 01-30-2014, 05:41 PM

On the side of the trans should be what we call the manual lever position switch(MLPS).
Try unplugging the plug and checking for any corrosion or corroded pin contacts.
A quick spray with some WD40 or penetrating oil will usually clean them. Also working the shift lever back and forth a few times may remove any surface material from the internal contacts. That would be the first thing I would check.
Welcome to the site, hope we can be of some help for you !

Old 01-31-2014, 10:28 AM

Hey Hanky Thats the one thing I did first. What would be the next step?

Old 01-31-2014, 11:07 AM

Not knowing how many miles are on the trans and if it was ever serviced you might consider dropping the pan and check out the filter and fluid. While open look for anything unusual. I would suspect there may be a leaking piston seal that when operated starting in a different range allows the seal to do it's job. I don't know for sure since it's one thing to be here and the trans is there. Have you confirmed that an electrical signal is getting to the MLPS when placed in the Drive position?

It's not impossible from sitting a long while , but check the 2 solenoids with an ohmmeter to make sure they have continuity and also make sure the wiring from the MLPS to the solenoids is intact and doesn't have a poor connection.

Last edited by hanky; 01-31-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:14 PM

Hey there Bob,

As a possibility, in Australia our Bitsarmissing Delica 4x4 van had the same symptoms, turned out to be a blown fuse.

Replacing the engine I must have touched something I should not have, anyway an interior light was not working when I finished the job, found and replaced the fuse and hey presto gearbox had first again, go figure!

Just a thought,
Shaun

Old 02-01-2014, 07:39 PM

with that thing setting for that long without it being moved or even started in that long I would venture to say that it had a few critters chew on a few wires. and the fluid hasn't been circulating therefore it has drained all the way to the bottom and not gotten to where it needs to be yet.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:21 PM

Hanky Bear with me here if I ask silly question. But how do I check the solenoids? And as far as checking the connection on the plug. I have no idea where to start. Dont get me wrong. I know how to use a meter but have no idea what the readinggs should be coming out. Is there a place where I can get a manuel for this trans. or even just a diagram of the pin? And one other thing. I dont think the trans. is shifting into over drive. Maybe the two are connected? And as far as miles go. it only has 2300 miles. Not a typo. Van has been seating in an impound yard. I know the guy who picked it up. Otherwise I wouldnt belive it had that low of miles. I did take it to a shop a few weeks ago. The guy got under it and by looking at it said it needed to be rebuild. I took it away from his shop.

Shauno Never thought of looking at the fuses. But not too hopefull. Anything I decide to tackle is never that ez. lol

Grindman. I was thinking the same thing about the fluid. But Ive driven it all over my subdivision and I let it idel for a few hours. Still nothing.

Look forward to more advice.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:49 PM

I have a feeling that you didn't go on a freeway and get it up to say 70mph and see if it went into overdrive. it is also possible that a few of the valves in the valve body of the trans. is sticking and not able to move freely enough to allow smooth shifting. another thing to consider is the fluid level after setting for so long some of the fluid is bound to seep out of it. would you consider putting in a used trans.? sometimes a little problem can cause a big headache. you might try a fluid change along with a new filter to make sure the fluid is up to snuff. usually when someone says that a vehicle has been setting for a long time then it might time for a change of the fluid and filter because you don't know how the vehicle has been treated before you purchased it. on the other hand, ive also seen it when there wasn't any problem and all it needed was the cob webs blown out of it. it's like it needs to be broke in all over again