Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

92 e250 5.8 where is the pcm power relay

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 01:02 PM
Default 92 e250 5.8 where is the pcm power relay

Please help! I cannot find the EEC, PCM power relay. I have a 92 e250 5.8
I have looked behind the kick panels, under the dash and hood. Is it one of the three gray relays in the "fuse distribution box?"

Old 06-07-2014, 01:36 PM

Hello James and welcome.
The relay you seek is called an EEC relay and is usually located on the passenger side under the hood probably just behind the battery hanging on the firewall. There should also be a fuel pump relay there. Both relays are the same and can be interchanged if needed. If I may ask , what kind of problem does the vehicle have that you are looking for this relay?

Old 06-07-2014, 02:28 PM
Default Location EEC power relay

Thank You Hanky

I still cannot find the relay under the hood.
For the last month the van would only restart after sitting several hours. Now it will not start at all. The 30 amp fuse, number 7 under the dash was blown. Replaced it, still will not start. From what I can see the fuse is for the coil end of the relay, I hope.
Thank You
Jim

Old 06-07-2014, 03:16 PM

James from what I can now see the EEC relay is where you first suspected ,in the power distribution box. If you suspect the fuse is supplying the EEc relay try removing the relay and see what happens with the new fuse. From what I can see, the power dist box has 3 latches and if you can visualize the two latches on the bottom in your view, there should be one relay on the top left and three relays on the bottom left. Of the three on the bottom,the second one in, going from left to right, is the fuel pump relay and the relay to the right ,third, is the EEC relay. In looking at the diagram power comes from the ign sw to a fuse in the box then to the EEC relay. I can't believe they would use a 30 amp fuse to energize that relay. If you could tell me which way the cover latches are arranged on the power dist box I should be able to make the checks easier.

I have a Ford shop manual Powertrain Manual for the 1992 Ford econoline and am trying to make sure what you see under the hood of your vehicle is identical. That power dist box is supposed to be located in the same area as where the battery is located.

Last edited by hanky; 06-07-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:59 PM

I also checked the net for pix , but they are wrong and different from year to year.
Also checked a 1994 Ford Powertrain Manual and it is different from the images shown in the 92 manual. Anything that blows a 30 amp fuse is a dead short and should not be too difficult to locate.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:15 PM

Thanks Again Hanky

Hanky, I'am taking the battery in to be charged. Will be back at the van in two hours and will check the orientation of the relays. Your manual for the 92 will help a lot.

Sincerely
Jim

Old 06-07-2014, 06:17 PM

James I'm trying to think of the next step for you to take. You don't by any chance have a copy of the owner's manual with that vehicle do you? If you did, it would tell which sections are protected by that fuse that was blown. And,,,, that may not even be the problem. I presume when you say the vehicle won't start , it cranks over , but will not start running. Is this correct? Do you have any carb/ choke cleaner available in a spray can ? If so, shoot a shot into the intake and see if the engine will start even for a few seconds. If it does, there is a fuel supply problem. If it doesn't there could be a spark problem. Have you checked for spark ?
When you turn the key on do you hear the fuel pump run for 2 seconds?

Last edited by hanky; 06-07-2014 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:54 PM

Aloha Hanky

The battery is fully charged. When turned to start the fuel pump does not prime. Also, checked for spark with HEI, found none. With your help and using the Chilton's and Alldata's Electrical schematics I finally found the EEC power relay. I have checked the relay coils, they are good. The 30 amp fuse that blew was number seven, under the dash, used to power the EEC power relay coil. Replaced fuse and relay, the fuse is still good after several start attempts. When checked for voltage, the EEC and fuel pump relay show only 3 volts on the power side of the relay coil when turned to run or start. The EEC power relay does not show voltage on the "hot at all times" side of the relay. The fuel pump relay does show 12 volts on the power side of the relay.

I see on the Chilton's schematic that their is a power splice that takes the 12 volts that comes from the "hot in run or start" that goes to the coil of the EEC relay, also goes to the positive side of the ignition coil, I found no voltage in run or start at the coil.
Do you think it could be the ignition switch? My schematics do not elaborate on the ignition switch.
Thank you Hanky for the help.
Aloha. Jim

Thanks H

Old 06-08-2014, 05:07 AM

Do the relays you have show any numbers underneath ? If they show the following #s this is what you should have at the EEC relay;
#30 is power all the time direct from the battery + supply.
# 86 comes from the ign switch and supplies power to energize the relay
# 85 is the ground for the relay coil
# 87 is the output of the relay when energized and supplies power to the fuel pump relay coil and vehicle power which goes to the coil and other parts like injectors etc.
That direct connection from the battery wire that supplies "power at all times" to the EEC relay #30 also supplies power to the #30 term of the fuel pump relay. So the EEC relay energizes the fuel pump relay.
If any of the solenoids that are on the vehicle power line are shorted it will pull the vehicle power down to the entire system.
What you might try is to remove the fuel pump relay and see what you have on the output of the EEC relay. If normal 12 volts is there, there is a problem with the fuel pump system. If you still don't have the 12 volts at the output of the EEC relay with the fuel pump relay removed , then there is a problem in the vehicle power circuit.
It might be a good idea to remove the plug from the ECM and check for corrosion in the pins there. That should be located on the passenger side and has a 10 mm bolt holding the plug to the ECM.
Hope I was clear on the directions.

Last edited by hanky; 06-10-2014 at 02:57 AM.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:27 PM

God Bless You Hanky

The instructions you left were excellent, thank you. We are just waking-up in hawaii. But, I will have the voltages for the pins you listed in less than a hour.

Sincerely
Jim

Quick Reply: 92 e250 5.8 where is the pcm power relay