Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

93 E150 Over Heating Problem...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 07:14 PM
Question 93 E150 Over Heating Problem...

Van started to over heat after recharging the A/C? I know this has nothing to do with the cooling system but never had a problem with it over heating till that and it would run relatively cool [C--|--------H].
What happens is...
If I'm at an idle or going a slow speed its "normally" fine for the most part [C-----|-----H], Higher speeds it tends to get hot and stay at about [C--------|--H] and then the T-stat would open sending the temp down so the needle would be constantly jumping around.
I then flushed the system and put a new thermostat in it figuring that was the problem after I put a new one in it the same thing happens?
The radiator fan seems to stay on I haven't really paid to much attention to it but every time it got hot I checked it out.
the A/C seems to stay on constantly now (Low refrigerant?)? Even when i have everything off you can still see the condensation dripping to the ground under the van? But not sure if this would cause the problem?
Water Pump? Clogged hoses/radiator? Fan? Thermostat still? I mean there isn't to much to the cooling system?
But happening right after the A/C recharge? Idk Lost on what I should do?

Old 08-20-2014, 07:27 AM

There are a couple of things we need to know. First if everything is OK without the a/c on , there is a good possibility the system is over charged. Are you using the normal or max setting on the function selector? The greatest benefit is gained with the system recirculating the cool air.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:28 AM

I went ahead and unplugged the compressor just to see if it made a difference and no change. The van was sitting a couple years before i bought (for a price i couldnt pass up [and only having 117k]). And the only reason why the guy let it set was he was older and the brake line busted while he was driving. Anyways... when i charged it i put two cans in... its kinda my normal dose for any car that has absolutely no cold air at all. I dont have a gauge to check it, so thats why i unplugged it to see if it made any difference at all.
And so far ive started small replacements... thermostat, hoses (top and bottom), raditor cap. Today im replacing the water pump... thats about the only thing thats left unless maybe a sensor?

Old 08-21-2014, 08:24 PM

You may just have a bad fan clutch ($35-45) that just happened to show its ugly self. Especially after charging the A/C as the A/C puts an extra heat load on the cooling system when it's running. The fan clutch just may have been borderline OK.