Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

93 E350 Not heating enough inside

Old 02-09-2014, 01:10 AM
Default 93 E350 Not heating enough inside

Hello Fellow E350 enthusiast.

The problem I am having is that it takes for ever to get warm inside with the heater on and does not get all the way warm or hot. Should I change the T-stat? ...or should I cover the front area so cold air doesn't pass thru?

Also get frosty inside the windshield.....

Thanks in advance....

Alaska57

Old 02-09-2014, 05:56 PM

hello alaska, welcome to the sight. I have a couple of questions for you. the first one is do you live in alaska and if so you can cover up to half of the radiator with cardboard and that will warm the coolant inside the heater core a little more and not let it cool off so much that it stays cold in the cabin. the second is what do you mean frosty on the inside of the windshield?

Old 02-11-2014, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by grindman
hello alaska, welcome to the sight. I have a couple of questions for you. the first one is do you live in alaska and if so you can cover up to half of the radiator with cardboard and that will warm the coolant inside the heater core a little more and not let it cool off so much that it stays cold in the cabin. the second is what do you mean frosty on the inside of the windshield?

Thanks for the answer and the frosty inside meaning that I actually have to scrape frost from inside like if you were going to scrape on the outside. Wonder if the cracked windshield has to do something with that...

Old 02-11-2014, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

Whats the outside temps during the times 'it doesn't heat up enough'?

A cracked windshield shouldn't allow or affect icing on the inside (more then usual since its multiple layer safety glass. So,, it has ice on the inside when you start it up on cold AM's? Or ice develops before it has a chance to heat up for defrost?

The defroster needs to have the A/C working since the defrost function in part includes 'dehumidifying' of the cabin air being brought in.

Was a fairly common problem for a T stat to stick open or crack the housing/jamb and not close. Function may be offset if the outside temps are severe..

Old 02-12-2014, 08:36 AM

usually if the wind screen frosts up on the inside the heater core has a pin hole in it and blowing the engine coolant up through the defroster tubes. but you will notice a fog coming from the defrosters or the vent if the heater core is to blame. if the heater is warm enough the windshield will defrost without the A/C working.another question is engine gas or diesel?

Old 02-13-2014, 08:13 PM

The problem has been fixed. I flushed the system, put new antifreeze, replaced the stat. I found out that other people has been having the same problem and amazingly a pin hole in the windshield allowed cold air inside causing the windshield to frost inside. The same happened to a new chevy suv, a dodge truck and a chevy van.....all had pin holes in the windshield in differerent places. I just simply cover the hole with JB weld and problem solved. Temperature at the time was between 0 and 10 degrees. I put liquid defroster in the windshield and wipe it down and also help greatly...........