Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

'98 E350 Headlights Won't Turn Off

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 12:47 PM
Default '98 E350 Headlights Won't Turn Off

Hey, guys - (I posted this is general but then I saw this category so I'll try here),

I'm new to the forum. I just bought a 1998 e350 Club Wagon to build into a poor man's Sportsmobile-type camper van. I did a search and could not find this problem:

My headlights won't turn off all of a sudden. I replaced the switch, pulled the relays and lights didn't go out. I don't have daytime running lights that I know of so there is no module to pull. I had replaced the turn signal switch right before this happened but I don't see what I could have done that would affect the headlamps.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Old 09-07-2016, 03:35 PM

I don't know how much help this will be ,but you never know.
Some questions first please,
did you have the problem before replacing the signal lite sw assy?
Where did you get the switch ,dealer or aftermarket?
Do you know if what is staying on is hi beam or low beam?
Why did you need to replace the switch assy?
Does your vehicle have any add on equipment?

Old 09-07-2016, 04:23 PM

Thanks!
Did not have the problem prior to installing 'aftermarket' switch. First switch I bought from Napa and it was faulty. Returned and got this one and now we are finding out it is faulty as the high-beam flasher is not working so I'm going to return it.
Hi beam and low beam both stay on
I replaced the switch because the left hand turn signal wouldn't stay locked in place.
I have add-on equipment. This used to be a wheelchair lift van so there is extra electronics added. I removed the fuses from the aftermarket wheelchair fusebox to disarm the safety features but this was weeks before the headlight issue.

Old 09-07-2016, 06:28 PM

I would say you know the problem and know what should be done.
So to second your decision, you know you cannot always count on aftermarket parts and your best bet is to get the correct switch from Ford and it will work the first time.
Can only speak for myself, but if at all possible try to get parts for Ford from either a Motorcraft site or a Ford parts dept. Had to learn the hard way their starters , alternators electrical stuff may cost a few bucks more, but there is nothing like doing the job over because a lot of aftermarket parts are questionable as you already learned. Grant you, some parts will not be readily available due to the age of the vehicle , but it is worth the effort.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:25 PM

Hanky, thanks, and I think you are right. But since the part costs $100 more from Motorcraft and if I have the part out, the lights still stay on, I'm leery of spending more on that part than getting the headlamp problem solved, if that makes sense. I have been working with a mechanic who says since it is not the switch or the relay, he's recommending I replace the 'body control module,' which is not inexpensive, but I need to get this fixed. If you have any thoughts on that, I would appreciate it. Thanks for your help!

Old 09-08-2016, 05:56 PM

It is entirely possible for the BCM to be the problem, but it is unusual for the BCM to go crazy right after you replaced the sw assy.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:27 PM

hanky, you are right again. The mechanic came out, saw that I had switched out the turn signal switch and wiring harness, deducted from that that I probably screwed it up and went from there and fixed it. It was a faulty wiring harness that was supplying constant power to the headlights. Done! Thanks for your help!