Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

AC Charging Ports

Old 07-08-2014, 01:00 PM
Default AC Charging Ports

I have a 1987 Ford E350 mini motor home, and my AC needs recharging. I have been doing my own charging with 30lb canister and gauges for the past 50 years.

However, have never owned an Econoline before, and the charging ports appear to be smaller than the standard R12 ports I have delt with in the past. I still have plenty of R12 left over from the old days, so would like to use it up.

Is there an adapter I can purchase that will allow me to use my old gauges?

Any and all posts greatly appreciated by this "OLD" cowboy

Old 07-08-2014, 02:06 PM

Well to start with, somebody said the older the fiddle the better it plays. What do you think of that?
If I remember correctly those units used a York compressor with the shut off valves either on the top or the side. Is this what you have?
I have never seen any fittings for R12 that were different from the standard ones.
The only difference was the high side was a smaller fitting so there could be no mix-up.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Well to start with, somebody said the older the fiddle the better it plays. What do you think of that?

I heard that before Hanky, and it's true.....However the nice thing is, once you get past 75 what difference does it make, cause you stop worrying about all the little stuff. Who cares if the bills don't get paid? What can they do to ya, put you in jail?? Three meals and a cot FREE, can't beat that

Thanks to this great web site, I found the low side charging port, and it was the right size. However you are correct, the high side is definitely smaller. I wonder if they make an adapter to fit that smaller high side fitting??

Thanks for the help Pardner.

Rick

Old 07-09-2014, 02:15 PM

Yes , they made adapters for the high side.
What we did if the high side info wasn't available for whatever reason, if we added until the lo side pressure got to around 30 psi that was cold enough to avoid freeze up and still did the job. The smaller #s inside the pressure #s on the lo side gauge were usually the temp at the evaporator. You didn't want it too cold because then evap icing became a problem. I don't know if the system on your vehicle uses a thermostatic expansion valve or an orifice. Usually the compressor ran all the time with a TXV, and the orifice system used a cycling clutch. A system with a TXV and lo charge caused the clutch to keep going on and off due to the low pressure cut off switch in the system.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:55 AM

I got it charged up to 35lbs on the low side and the air is nice and cold, however, unfortunately it is only coming out of the defroster vents

I know their must be a vacuum leak some place, but I can't find it. May have to just start replacing all of the old vacuum lines ! Darn, if it isn't one thing it's another

Old 07-10-2014, 03:36 AM

Your vacuum resevoir cannister may be of the coffee can type. If it is, these critters had a habit of rusting thru causing the vacuum leak.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:05 AM

You're on the homestretch now. If it is of any help, the vacuum line comes from a tap under the hood , goes into the passenger compartment to the function switch on the dash. From there it directs vacuum to various diaphram controls in the ductwork. If for some reason vacuum is lost the system is designed to default to defrost so the vehicle could be driven where defrosters were necessary. Even with an insufficient amount of vacuum you get the defrost position. If you don't find a hose cracked or off, it would be a good idea to check where Use Common Sense suggested at the reservoir can.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:48 PM

OK, Homestretch ?? Is you tryin to say that I am soooooo OLD that I need to get ready to meet my maker Hanky??

Canister seems to be OK, but I also have an original Ford vacuum pump on this outfit, sucking vacuum like mad, but hooked to absolutely nothing, nada, neicht !!! I have never seen a vacuum pump on a gas motor before ??

Hoked it up to the only vacuum line I can see going through the firewall, so guess I will pull the dog house off and take a lookie at all the vacuum lines on top of the motor. I sure wish Ford had never seen those little dinky brittle vacuum lines . What was ever wrong with the standard pliable rubber vacuum lines??

Rick

Old 07-11-2014, 02:50 PM

Hi Rick,
To me the homestretch is when you run out of problems and everything works like it's supposed to.
There was a time with carbureted engines when you stepped on the gas vacuum to the wipers would drop and the wipers stopped so they created a double action fuel pump with a vacuum pump on top and the fuel pump section on the bottom. I guess they never thought of a vacuum reservoir.
Engines in those ?????? days didn't run as hot as today's engines and plain rubber hose would only last a short time. I really don't know if that is the reason, but it sure sounds good ! Anyway, I would be reasonably sure that there is a hose off someplace or there is a vacuum leak resulting in loss of function selection. Patience pays , and you will find it. You could always try a piece of hose to your ear and move it along the parts near the ducts and you might be able to better hear a leak.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:55 AM

Is it actually a vacuum pump or is it the air pump for the emissions system? You could try blowing smoke thru a vacuum line and see where it comes out from.