Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Warning buzzer????

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 07:48 PM
Default Warning buzzer????

I was driving home today from a 30 mile trip and I started hearing an intermittent buzzer sound coming from under my dash right around the area of my left knee. I did both a google search and a forum search but found no real clues as to what it might be.

My vehicle is a '94 E-150 cargo van with around 215k on it. It's a basic package with automatic trans, AC, and power steering as the only options, if indeed they were options in the first place.

My airbag light has been flashing for about 3 years if that makes any difference. I have never had a door buzzer nor an ignition buzzer or even a seat belt buzzer. If it had them before, I don't know, but I never saw any wiring for them. I have never heard a buzzer in this vehicle, nor did the owners manual make any mention of one. So I'm baffled.

It first came on with around 5 beeps, then I could count 7, but I could not discern a code. It seemed random. By the time I got home, the buzzing was non-stop. Oh, and I should mention that all gauges were in normal positions.

Anyone have any ideas? Any insight would be appreciated, as I have a 400 mile trip coming up next week.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:27 AM
Super Moderator

The beep tones are coming from the airbage diagnostic monitor. Airbag indicator lamp still functional? Code count should be a series of beep tones, then a pause to seperate the two digit code, and another count. Like 5----1 would be 51.. See if they follow a pattern of code/s..

Old 11-06-2011, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
The beep tones are coming from the airbage diagnostic monitor. Airbag indicator lamp still functional? Code count should be a series of beep tones, then a pause to seperate the two digit code, and another count. Like 5----1 would be 51.. See if they follow a pattern of code/s..
Yes, as I noted before, the airbag light is still flashing away. Also, as mentioned I could not discern a code from the gibberish that was coming from my buzzer, but I will try that again.

Thank you though, for your response. I had begun to think it was coming from my airbag system; I had no clue that such a buzzer had even existed before reading this forum, but oddly I'm still surprised that it would come on with my light still working. Other threads with "chime" codes on later models than mine, all seem to point to a airbag light failure before the chimes went in to action.

Thanks again, glad to know that it's not something worse.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:56 PM

Today I thought to check the Haynes Manual, and sure enough it confirmed that there is a buzzer, so you guys were right. Later vans had chimes apparently. I checked under the dash and found some wires were disconnected so I plugged them back in, and what do you know? It was a door buzzer that I didn't even know I had. In looking further I saw what appeared to be another buzzer unit, so I disconnected that one. Hopefully that solves the problem.

I should mention that when I started the car (before disconnecting that unknown connector), the airbag buzzer did not come on again. I was therefore unable to check if it was sounding a code. The light seems to be flashing a 41 code. I'll have to look that one up.