Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

battery drain f1.22 fuse

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 06:03 AM
Default battery drain f1.22 fuse

hi folks,I'm new to the forum ,and i really need some help.
I have a 2007 ford e250 van that has a battery drain (from .1 to 1.9 )volt drain.it is in the under the hood panel,fuse f1.22 60 amp.bad news is it is constant(battery drained every few days ) yet intermittent,if you touch the brake it will stop but return,also if you play with the light switch it will stop for a bit. both switches were switched out but the problem persists.I am now guessing that it must be a short in a wire somewhere.
Someone out there must have had this exact problem and found the solution.if it was you,or you know where my answer is ,please help me as i am out of ideas.
Thanks in advance ,Mike

Old 05-21-2016, 07:01 AM

Good Morning Mike,
Might be able to shed some light on the problem. Since you know the fuse involved, from your owner's manual what does that fuse protect? Knowing that should help narrow the field some.

Old 05-21-2016, 02:18 PM

bad news is it controls the power windows,door locks,headlights and brake lights.of all the fuses,it had to be this one.

Old 05-21-2016, 02:29 PM

There are some relays involved that may be staying activated. What you might try for starters would be if the drain is always present as long as the fuse is in place try removing and installing that particular fuse and listen for a relay that may be clicking while you interrupt the power to the system. If you get something there it may help to pin down some direction. There is a BCM (body control module ) that may be refusing to go into sleep mode because one of the functions it controls is keeping it awake with signals that should not be there.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:42 PM

when i said a drain , it was with the fuse out with the tester on the "cold" side.we put a charge to it and one of the two small grey relays behind the panel under the steering column.to the right was clicking so we swapped the two of them out ,still no go.
I would like to know more about the body control module and sleep mode.like where it is and how to check it.
man i wish we could go back to carbs and points...mike

Old 05-21-2016, 06:58 PM

on a side note,when you start it up,the doors immediately lock.is this normal? or should it lock when you put it in gear like the dodges? just putting it out there,it may be a lead. i locked myself out with it running already,doesn't seem like this should be the way

Old 05-21-2016, 08:33 PM

Ford also calls it a GEM (generic control module). I would suggest that you have someone with the capable scan tool check the system before doing anything else. As you have already learned replacing things without being sure can get expensive.
Something you might consider would be to check and verify that all the ground connections you can find and see are clean and making good contact especially since the problem is lessened when the brake pedal is depressed.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:32 AM

the only thing saving me financially is my is the fact that i have access to a scrap one so swapping parts is free and easy.
next step find and check as many grounds as i can.
thank you hanky,im sure with your help i will find this problem.
by the way, should the doors lock when it starts up????

Old 05-22-2016, 11:49 AM

I believe you are correct that the doors should not lock until a certain speed is reached.
A word of caution, swapping parts with another unit can create unbelievable problems because modules often need to be programmed to the individual vehicle. There are times when a powertrain control module from one vehicle is substituted in another without programming it, will now, not work in either vehicle AND the original PCM won't work in the original vehicle it came from. The anti-theft systems won't even allow the vehicle to start. I believe the procedure is called a parameter reset.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:44 PM

the only thing we swapped out was the headlight switch, brake switch ,and a few relays.
where is the body control module located so that we don't unnecessarily screw with it . the guy helping me has a very good diagnostic computer(worth thousands) but would the ford dealership have a better setup?

Quick Reply: battery drain f1.22 fuse