Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Brake Problem

Old 09-09-2016, 05:46 AM
Default Brake Problem

I have a Ford E-450 (it is a Winnebago Aspect 26' RV). I have had an ongoing problem with my brakes and am tired of it and a trying to get it repaired. I am having a very hard time finding someplace to work on this, that I can feel is reliable and yet that I won't get ripped off.

Here is the problem:

Often one or more of the calipers seem to not release. This results in overheating at that wheel and jerking back and forth while I drive. I have been getting by with spraying lubricant along the edges of the calipers where they sit in their housings, (before we travel). But I did this on our last outing and still had a problem about 20 minutes into our trip. We pulled into a parking lot, had dinner in the RV whilst everything cooled. After that I banged on the caliper in question, re-lubed it, and the rest of the trip was OK.

So far I tried a repair shop that came highly recommended by an acquaintance, but they did not work on RV's. In the past, the Ford Dealer near me has said they don't work on RV's (although I was looking for body damage repair). I was thinking next to call the RV shop that wound up doing that repair, but their rates seem high.

So, first, anyone know what my problem most likely is?

Second, any good shop that could handle this near Davie, Florida?

Old 09-09-2016, 07:40 AM

A good part of the time a decent brake system service will usually correct the problem.

This could include,
replace the calipers and pads with OEM parts rotors and repack the wheel bearings , replace the front wheel seals and depending on the age of the vehicle and not on the miles, replace the hydraulic brake hoses and flush out the old brake fluid. Now this may cost a few bucks, but when you drive out the door to go someplace you should have peace of mind knowing the vehicle will stop when you want it to and not cause you undue concern about whether it will give you any additional brake problems. No price tag can be placed on your safety ! Finding a good shop is a problem. Most Ford dealers will do brake work on RV's. Anything else is dependent upon space , people and conditions. From past experience I have found it was better in the long run to get a few estimates and make your decision from there. When it comes to special equipment like RV's not everybody will work on them. You didn't state the age or miles on the vehicle and that is an important consideration. You are possibly gambling with safety by taking short cuts and spraying stuff on parts that rely on friction to do the job. I would suspect corrosion is part of the problem and good maintenance will prevent most of that.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:11 AM

It is a 2006 with about 50,000 miles.

Do you think I'd get a better price at a dealer or the RV shop I have had other work done at in the past?

Old 09-09-2016, 11:29 AM

I realize price is an important consideration, but as you know we get what we pay for, if we're lucky.
Not knowing the quality of work with the places you mentioned , you might consider getting a few estimates and see what they include.
50,000 is not a lot of miles, but what it takes to stop the weight and size of your vehicle is what matters here.
Where you reside, where you drive and what you carry have a great bearing on the longevity of the parts on your vehicle.
Keep in mind the vehicle is 10 years old and parts do deteriorate over time especially things like brake hoses and lines. If nothing else I hope to at least help you be aware that low mileage is not really any indication of condition of parts that will seize and not function as designed if allowed to sit or are exposed to conditions that allow that to take place.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:42 AM

I believe that the best way to go here is to have the brakes changed along with the calipers with new ones and also flush out the fluid . I know it sounds really expensive but would be well worth the money in the long run. Humidity levels in that part of the country are kinda high no matter what time of year. I would recommend that you at least drive it on a regular basis just to keep the rust and corrosion down to a minimum.

Old 09-10-2016, 01:19 PM

Well I contacted the RV shop I have used in the past. As soon as I began to describe this, he knew what it was. Apparently the original Ford calipers on these models are notorious for rusting and not releasing properly. I am taking it there Monday to have all the calipers replaced, they will also replace the hoses from the calipers to the master cylinder. He uses upgraded calipers, not the Ford ones, they are more expensive but hold up much better. Just gotta hope none of the rotors are warped or that will be an even further expense.

We usually take the RV on at least a small trip every 6 to 8 weeks. I think this problem may be mostly due to the poor calipers and in part, the prior owner of the RV. I know it sat at the dealer where we bought it for about a year, on sale, before we bought it.

Old 09-10-2016, 02:35 PM

Some of the later calipers have an anti corrosion coating applied on them and that seems to help slow down the corrosion problem. If you are interested , it might be a good idea to have the shop explain the differences between the calipers they use vs others. That way you will have some background to supplement your present knowledge. It is always good to learn as much as you can so that if you have any problems on the road , you don't end up "buying the farm".