Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Brake-Shift Interlock Problem(?) please help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 08:06 PM
Default Brake-Shift Interlock Problem(?) please help.

I recently bought a 2004 Ford E-450 Super Duty Cutaway Bus, and am in the process of converting into a tiny house. However, it just began the fun little quirk of not shift out of Park if the key is turned over.

I can, however, shift into neutral from ON. The brake lights do work, (as brake lights), but the driving lights do not. I tested the Number 6 Fuse ( brake-shift interlock one) and the tester lit up green, (not broken, valid circuit).

There are a couple of black, ribbed tubes running up from behind the Parking Brake, and one of them is sliced open across its length. I noticed this when I was checking the fuse box, and as I moved it around to access the fuses, a little display module right above the parking brake would flash red and say "Check Charging Systems" and beep at me. Then would return to normal. If I touched those cords wrong, it would beep again.

My bus has a wheelchair lift in the back, and there is a little module above the stereo that is labelled "Intelligent Lift Interlock System" The 'Park Brake' light is illuminated red. The 'Park' LED is illuminated red, and the 'Shift Lock' light is illuminated yellow.

Does anyone have any ideas about what this might be, or further diagnostics I can do to narrow it down? I am running on a pretty thin budget for the tiny house modelling, and if it is something I can fix DIY I would really appreciate some direction. Thanks.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:08 PM

Also, the key gets stuck in the ignition about 50% of the time. It just won't turn back down to a point that I can pull it out. These problems all started around the same time, so I wonder if they are correlated somehow.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:15 PM

There is always the possibility the Ign tumbler is not indexing the ign switch assy on the steering column in the full on position at least enough to block power to the solenoid that allows the shift lever to be removed from park when the brake is applied or the solenoid may have a problem.