Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

A/C

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

Did you look over the top of the engine bay/ firewall area, directly over/above the air cleaner..

Old 06-23-2016, 11:40 AM

Not sure just what we are planning, but if you were going to add R12 you should use the low side. If ,however, you are planning to switch over to R134A you will need to remove the compressor to drain the oil out anyway and maybe then you can make some changes if necessary. This may be more than you want to get into, I don't know.
The lo side port should be on the low side line somewhere, you just need to trace it until you find the port.It should be between the evaporator outlet line and the compressor.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:48 AM

The sight glass is on the pas side next to the battery, the high port is on the other side behind the headlight.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
Did you look over the top of the engine bay/ firewall area, directly over/above the air cleaner..
Yep, traced the line from the compressor up over the top and all the way to the other side.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
Not sure just what we are planning, but if you were going to add R12 you should use the low side. If ,however, you are planning to switch over to R134A you will need to remove the compressor to drain the oil out anyway and maybe then you can make some changes if necessary. This may be more than you want to get into, I don't know.
The lo side port should be on the low side line somewhere, you just need to trace it until you find the port.It should be between the evaporator outlet line and the compressor.
Was going to retrofit it, but an old friend has some r 12, probably will just recharge. if I can find the port

Old 06-23-2016, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Rusty Baker
Yep, traced the line from the compressor up over the top and all the way to the other side.
Even pulled the doghouse so I could look from the back side.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:15 PM

Is this the low port? It is between the evaporator and the compressor. With the kit I bought, the fitting that will screw on that is too big for the recharge hose. Did they screw up the kit?

Attached Thumbnails A/C-002.jpg  
Old 06-23-2016, 12:19 PM

Try again with the picture, when I click on the picture, it just goes black.

Attached Thumbnails A/C-002.jpg  

Last edited by Rusty Baker; 06-23-2016 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

That looks to be between the comp and condenser, that would be the HP port.

All OE lines?

Less desirable option,, you could pull the cycling switch, and if your adapter installs on the port, S/B 7/16 male same as the low/ suction port, and bridge the low/cycling connector to run the comp and pull in a 'light' measured fill at the switches shrader connection. Add a little at a time re installing the switch and checking cycling pressure on the high side.. Not as accurate as watching both gauge values..

I thought it was on the overhead lines near the air cleaner top, but if it's not on the accumulator body, near the Evaporate case, or a line extending back to the comp, anyone's guess...

Last edited by Hayapower; 06-23-2016 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:23 PM

All OE lines. Maybe I will just quit on it. I have two kits. On one the fitting that fits the recharge hose screws on the port in the picture. In the other kit, the fitting that works on the recharge hose, is too big to screw on that port. How are you supposed to know?
That port is between the condenser and compressor, so is that the high port?