Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

E-450 brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 05:09 PM
Default E-450 brakes

C-Class Motorhome w/ E-450 series with ABS light on and chattering front brakes, any help on removing rotors for re-surface or replace w/ new pads???

Any trade secrets or helpful hints will be appreciated!!!!!

Old 03-17-2014, 07:39 PM

When checking the front brakes ,pads/rotors/, give a careful look at the wheel speed sensors and the connections to the harness , also check the rears . Many times they will wear just as fast as the fronts. You didn't say what year the vehicle was , so could have discs on rear also. Wheel speed sensors can cause ABS lite to come on. Unfortunately Ford pads don't have warning squealers and by the time they let you know something is wrong , it's pads AND rotors. Depending on year and mileage of the vehicle you could possibly need to replace calipers too. Whatever you do Don't force the brake fluid back into the system when compressing the calipers. Open the bleeder screw and let the fluid come out when squeezing the caliper otherwise the junk in the caliper can get forced back into the ABS hyd system and cause other problems.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:56 PM
Default Brakes

Thanks for the info, this is a 03 / 04 chassis w/ 40,000 miles & seems very original? The fronts will shake your teeth when applied so I figured pads & rotors at least!
Any info on removal? Will pull apart next week and report!:

Old 03-18-2014, 02:04 PM

The rubber seals on the calipers are over 10 years old . Check everything carefully and make sure none of the dust boots and seals on the calipers show any signs of age.
Don't forget to check the rears they sometimes wear more than the front.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:35 PM
Default weak parts rplacers

After having a local shop tell me this 40,000 mile E-450 C-Class RV needs all new rotors, calipers, pads etc.................... I felt it's time to see if anyone really knows how to repair / rebuild / correct these problems??? Diagnoses is easy if you replace everything you see (parts replacers) VS real mechanics!!
Are there any out there???

Old 03-31-2014, 05:06 PM

You don't have the equipment to do a decent job rebuilding calipers. The reason you are replacing the pads,rotors and calipers is because you got the use from them and as you know nothing lasts forever. There isn't too much these days that you or anybody else can repair because the parts are worn and just plain need to be replaced. If you see what is involved just with the rear brakes alone is nothing like the vehicles years ago where you were able to rebuild wheel cyls, replace brake shoes reuse old hardware, and have drums cut and reinstall all that. There is no way you can do those things today , the parts come from the land of chow mien and don't last as long as they used to especially now that we go 65 MPH or better down the road make panic stops etc. Let's face it you expect that vehicle to stop and go when you want it to and there is a price we all have to pay for that.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:26 AM
Default abs ????????

All new pads & rotors Calipers etc and still ABS lite???????

Replaced rear ABS sensor (found on scanner) but still have lite????

Should I replace front sensors & continue 2 throw parts at this or?????

Trying 2 make the system right.......................

Old 04-25-2014, 04:16 PM

If I recall correctly you did not have the pads and rotors replaced due to the ABS lite, but because they needed to be replaced when found to be worn and in need of replacement .
The better thing to do to determine the cause for the ABS lite is to have a shop with a capable scan tool check if all the wheel speed sensors and ABS system are working correctly. Guesswork here can be faulty and expensive. Do it once and do it right !

Old 05-02-2014, 04:17 PM
Default anybody else

I thank Hanky for his response but wonder if there is no one else with advice???
This is a popular combo and would like some real world experiences along with the basics!! Does anybody relate to this? Too many experts ready to throw $$$$ at the confusing ABS and related brake symptoms on these coaches!

Sorry if this seems crass but there is no where else to depend on REAL info!!

Last resort on what should be a simple fix..........

Old 05-02-2014, 04:47 PM

If it was a simple fix , it would probably be fixed already. Since the problem is still present and you stated something about being found on a scanner could you share that info with us ? There is something going on here and I believe you may not be aware of what is taking place. That vehicle is with a heavy body and requires substantial force to stop it. If you got 40,000 miles from that brake system without any considerable maintenance expense that is great . Most vehicles with that kind of weight are lucky to see 20,000 miles before requiring work. As far as real world experience I have at one time maintained a fleet of Fords comprising E150 s , E250 s ,E350 s and F550 s. Those vehicles ran 7 days a week and had some abusive drivers. I am reasonably sure you do not abuse your vehicle. You have what could be a minor problem or a problem that will get worse as time passes. We try to help by sharing our knowledge and experience, but it is nice when posters help us too.