Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

e150 problem help

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 10:02 PM
Default e150 problem help

hi....ok i have a 1992 e150 5.8l..the van starts fine runs great for a couple of hours here and there a little hesitation like it wants to cut off but it dosent.....ok heres the problem after a couple of hours of it runing it cuts off and it dosent want to start if it starts it sputters and some backfire if i step on the gas it chokes up ,sputtering and like no acceleration at all.....ok if i wait 15 minutes or so and try to start it ...it does and runs fine like nothing happend........helpppppppp

Old 11-24-2011, 11:40 PM

Can you check if you have a good quality spark coming out of the coil to the distributor when it quits on you. Backfire is usually caused by a lean fuel condition , have you ever changed the fuel filter?
I wouldn't think it would have the original coil on it , but if it does, they were known for breaking down internally and gave the same symptoms. What about your plugs and wires?

Old 11-25-2011, 08:49 AM
Default y

the fuel filter is new .....the thing here is the car runs perfect for hours until it turns off on me usually the first time it shutts off it starts up again for a bit longer....then when it cuts off again it usually dosent turn on if it does it starts sputtering with some backfire and when i press the gas it has like no power an more sputtering and off it goes,,,,,,,also at this point i let the car sit for like 15 minutes and try it again it goes on and runs great again............someone told me its the fuel pump that it start to over heat and gives out after sitting for a few it cools and works fine again for a few more

Old 11-25-2011, 10:54 AM

It sure would help if we could pin it down to either spark or fuel.
I have heard of similar problems where the EEC relay or the fuel pump relay dropped out. If you can locate them (they are the same part #) you may be able to isolate if one of them is the source of the problem. They should be located on the firewall I believe just behind the battery and air filter housing. And of course it could be the fuel pump too. You need to check for spark when it won't start , if you have a good spark then it would most likely involve the fuel system.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:51 AM

Your problem could be the IAC (inlet air control valve) on top of the intake manifold. When the IAC malfunctions it will cause the engine to run bad and stall. Another possiblity is the EGR valve or the EGR Position Sensor. If the EPS is bad it will send bad info to the EEC and the EEC will send improper signal to the EGR Control Solenoid which will either direct more or less vacuum to the EGR valve improperly.

If you pull the vacuum hose off your EGR valve at idle there should be no vacuum to the EGR, if there is then you may either have a bad EGR Position Senson (located on top of the EGR valve) or bad EGR Control Solenoid (the vacuum sensor that the EGR vacuum hose goes to), or possibly another sensor problem that is causing the EEC to trigger the EGR improperly.

As far as the IAC (inlet air control valve) goes, the only test I know for it is to let the engine idle at normal operating temperature and disconnect the electrical connector from the IAC. If the engine stalls then the IAC is working properly, if the engine continues to run them something is wrong with the IAC.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:00 AM

Attach a vacuum gauge to the intake somewhere, start the vehicle and watch the gauge, if it holds a steady vacuum your good, but if it slowly starts to drop then you most likely have a restricted exhaust, which would explain why it seems fine once you let it sit. You may be building up backpressure in the exhaust causing it to backfire and or stall. You can disconnect the catalysts from the manifolds and rechec the vacuum gauge, if it holds steady then you have a restriction in your exhaust.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:14 PM

im going to try this

Old 11-30-2011, 10:28 PM
Default ggrrrrr

well i changed the fuel filter and the air filter also the rotor and the cap with the coil and also the fuel pump in the tank .....and still the same thing still has the little buging out here and there but it dosent shut off .......i did notice im wasting alot less fuel witch is good and it really only shutt off once on me and started right up dont know if i havent driven it enough just want this van running perfect......i did noticed while under the car that the pipe that comes out of the muffler towards the back of the van is full of holes corroted and were it comes out of the muffler is also broken off with corrotion,,,,i put my had at the back pipe and dont feal much air comming out so i went to were its broken off from the muffler and the same dont feal much air ....wondering if my cat could be blocked