Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

E150 - rough run'n / stall'n - code 637

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 05:09 PM
Default E150 - rough run'n / stall'n - code 637

i have an e150 with a rough running / stall condition once reaching operating condition.
It has a full tune up, fuel pressure is within range (no leak down), had faulty coolant sensor code due to faulty contact at connector and new pcm due to no data communication.
Originally the vehicle was just being serviced for maintenance. Eventually it had developed a really rough & stall condition when reaching operating condition, although not always. (1 out of 5 starts).
Tune up was done, (plugs were fouled) and the van ran much better. I could not read codes as there was no pcm communication. It ran well for about 1 day, then started again.
I decided to replace the pcm and now managed to receive codes which displayed 118 coolant temp problem. After checking harness an sensor, determined that it had a poor connection at the sensor to harness connector. I cleaned it and tested it again.... all ran good for another day.
Now it set code 637 which is a transmission operating temp out of range. I decide to run some tests on the sensor and found a speratic resistance and intermit open at about 60 to 70 degrees celcius when i tested at the harness connector at the trans/engine once you remove the dog house. (wiggle tests and harness inspection was done. nff)
So looking into some wiring diagrams i decided to isolate the grey & red wire from the circuit to see if would effect operation. It seemed to help ( eliminating transmission operating temperature sensor) although produced a slightly harder shift.
It ran good for a half a day and now began acting up again.
I have not checked the codes yet, sooo i'm not sure if this effected the results.
Is it possible for a code 637 to have such symptoms ??? Stalling, rough running, no power, hesitation ???
Not sure if you have had any experience with this code ??

Pick'n your brain. Any suggestions.... cause i'm almost out ?

Old 07-09-2012, 10:06 PM

Anybody ?????

Old 07-11-2012, 12:16 PM

I haven't heard back from anyone yet ??? does 'anyone' have any feed back ???
(where are all my ford guru's ??)