Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

E250 transmission vibration when shifting to O/D

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 08:04 AM
Default E250 transmission vibration when shifting to O/D

Newbie here,
I have a 97 E250 with a V-6, automatic O/D Trans. When I'm driving and it shifts into O/D, I notice a vibration when i'm at or around 50 and it actually sounds like i'm going over rumble strips. If I accelerate or let of the gas it goes away, and when i get to a cruising speed of 55-60 it don't do it anymore. The tranny doesn't slip in any gear, fluid/filter has been flushed and changed and level is normal. Fluid color is nice and red, no shavings or discoloration. If i switch off the O/D and drive around in 3rd, it does not do it at all so i know its only the O/D. Any ideas?

Old 12-03-2015, 09:26 PM

I wish someone had an answer to this...I'm having very similar issues with my 95 E250, except it gets worse when I give it more gas instead of better. But if I let off the gas it smooths out. When under load it gets really bad. I have to avoid hills because the vibration is unbearable at times.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Adam Lane
I wish someone had an answer to this...I'm having very similar issues with my 95 E250, except it gets worse when I give it more gas instead of better. But if I let off the gas it smooths out. When under load it gets really bad. I have to avoid hills because the vibration is unbearable at times.
How many miles on the trans? Last fluid service?

'Torque Converter shudder' was fairly common, more so if the fluid hasn't been changed or is the OE fill. If serviced with Mercon V the additives to help control the shudder are included. Back when, additives like Shudder Guard were added to the OE fill to help with the condition over repeated fluid changes.. Many low mileage units had issues with converter shudder. If a high mileage trans, certainly other conditions apply. Generally if a converter shudder is present, a fluid change can help control or lessen, some times eliminate the shudder...

Old 12-03-2015, 10:21 PM

well I bought my van back in March at an auction so I don't really have much info on it before I got it. But I'm pretty sure its the original tranny. If so, then it has about 196,000 miles on it. The fluid was last changed in August at Goodyear. it was acting like this when I first got it...along with many other issues. I had the throttle position sensor replaced and they replaced a few parts on the throttle body. It ran very smooth after that for about 2-3 months. Then it rained one day and it just started with the vibration after that. Sort of feels almost like it misfiring. I went ahead and replaced the plugs and wires in hopes of fixing it...didn't help. Sometimes it will run like new and I won't have any issues out of it. It's usually once the van has been running a while and then I hit a decent size hill. I can also usually smell coolant after shutting the van off after driving it a while(not sure if that has anything to do with it or not). I haven't noticed any leaks or anything. I can also sometimes smell gas. I was wondering if maybe my fuel filter might need replaced? Could that be causing it?

Old 12-04-2015, 02:55 PM

The smell of anti-freeze is usually a different matter from the odor of raw fuel.
For what it costs for a fuel filter and not knowing when if ever it was changed , I would just replace it before really cold weather sets in.
There is a purge valve and a vent valve that are part of the emission system. If either one is not working like it should you are supposed to get a check engine light, sometimes it's borderline and no lite.
The coolant smell could be coming from a loose hose connection that when it gets hot the only clue is green trail or odor. A cooling system pressure test when the engine is cold usually will allow you to see the leak if it is external.
Hope you are not in the habit of filling the fuel tank unless it will absolutely not take anymore. This causes problems with the evap system components and one of the problems is, the charcoal canister gets loaded with liquid gasoline and cannot function correctly anymore.

Old 12-05-2015, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

At close to 200k, almost anything goes as far as leaks..

At near 200k if the original trans, your lucky to have closed in on that mileage number.. If you 'cancel out' OD do you still get a shudder under load or pulling a grade?

For the coolant smell, I'd look at places like the radiator tanks where their crimped to the core. Higher mileage units like to bleed there and unless a significant leak sometimes won't spot the ground or drop the system level in an alarming amount. Also, a quick look at the lower portion/ nose of the water pump weep hole, sometimes will weep or leak coolant there and indicate an upcoming failure. Freeze plugs too on both sides of the engine, also all hoses for failure and/or loose connections pin holes and such. Look to the right/passenger area around the firewall for a leaky heater core and/hoses. Basically comb over any possible leak points.

Fuel,, first I'd do a sweep of the engine bay and fuel rail areas and lines with the engine idling to see if you have an o ring or regulator drip or bleed, or emission vapor issue as stated. Then follow my way back looking for any wet areas or any indication of a intermittent leak like lines and connection points farther back including fill neck etc. Che k everything you can see.

Do you ever get a check engine light or OD light flashing?

Last edited by Hayapower; 12-05-2015 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:31 PM

since i got the van i haven't had the check engine light come on once. even when my van was redlining because of a bad throttle position sensor. sometimes it gets worse when I switch off the OD and sometimes it gets better. and if I put the pedal to the floor it sometimes goes away until I let off the gas a little bit...then it returns again. As far as leaks go...I've looked a few times for leaks but haven't found any. But it is very possible that I have overlooked a few places. And the van used to burn up coolant pretty quick but not so much anymore...so a leak is possible but I have been unable to find any and I have never seen any wet spots on the ground under the van. And I feel as if the fuel economy has decreased a bit as well. Not a lot...but slightly. As with the coolant...I have been unable to find any leaks. I did find a small hairline crack in the radiator a few months back but i sealed that. I know I should just replace it...but I just did a temporary fix with some super glue and a little bit of JB Weld. Since I sealed that the van hasn't been burning up the coolant like it was before. Oh I did get the OD light flashing while I was driving one time about a month or so ago. Other than that it has never started flashing.