Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

E350 Econoline chasis only

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 04:24 PM
Default E350 Econoline chasis only

Hi everyone! New to the site, and i see there is a lot of good, useful information here!
Issue; i have an 1989 Econoline E350, 460, stripped body, rv. Truck was well maintained, however, recently, truck will start 1st time, no problem. On some days, after driving for a while, make a stop, then try to restart, i just get 1 click, then nothing. After sitting for a while, truck will restart with no issues.
All related starting system items appear good, (starter, battery volts, cables, etc). I am suspecting the starter solinoid? But would this be intermittent? I also checked on all the grounds i could find and they appear to be ok. Also, after the restart, turn signals and AC dont work right away, but after driving for a few minutes they kick in as normal. Could the starter solinoid have anything to do with this?
Lookingfor any feedback to address this issue. I am past the point of "heavy mechinics" but can fo minor/small repairs. Thankd

Old 02-25-2017, 05:45 PM

Hi Jimbo,
What we look for sometimes is, what do the problems share with one another and my first thought is the ign switch and fuses that protect those circuits. Worth looking into.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:57 PM

Hi hanky,
Thanks for the reply. Its funny, i just ran a quick errand, and she started right up, no issues. But the turn signals nor ac would work. I plan on taking your advice in the morning, getting the light out, and checing the fuses. I know this must be electrical, just a matter of finding where....

Old 02-26-2017, 03:45 AM

Because of the age and we don't know where it worked , when checking the fuses look for possible corrosion in the fuse panel where the fuses push in.

Old 02-26-2017, 01:56 PM

Ok, will do. I brought this rv in December from an older gentleman who was the 2nd owner. When i 1st saw it, i commented about the good shape. It had 60k original miles, which coould be good or bad. Then he pulled out faded, readable receipts from 2000 of items he took care of. That upped my confidence!
I also read with regard to the turn signals and ac blower, it could be a bad ignition switch, as you mentioned. (Key not returning to the run position). Im gonja check that also. Rv has spent her life here in SE TX.