Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Engine coolant temperature sensor signal too high

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 08:10 PM
Exclamation Engine coolant temperature sensor signal too high

Hello all. My '96 E150 is having a bad issue. The engine coolant temperature sensor signal is getting too high all of a sudden when starting it up. I changed the coolant sensor and thermostat with no results . My neighborhood mechanic then recommended to buy a new radiator which I will do tomorrow (fingers crossed this will be the permanent fix).

In the meantime, what could be the culprit?

Old 08-25-2016, 12:55 AM

Hi Dan,
We could use some more info like,
What is the temp gauge reading?
Is the fan clutch working?
Are you talking about replacing the actual coolant temp sensor or the temp gauge sending unit?
Has anybody checked the water pump for any problems? Sometimes the impeller will come off the water pump shaft.
Depending on the mileage since you are going to replace the radiator it might be a good idea to also replace the upper and lower radiator hoses and coolant. Make sure there is a spring inside the lower hose or the hose can collapse with high RPM and restrict the flow through the radiator.

Old 08-25-2016, 05:36 PM
Default very true

I didn't like the temp on my Lincoln. I went to rockauto got a new radiator, hoses, thermostat, and water pump all new....

love the temp now.....

Old 08-27-2016, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
Hi Dan,
We could use some more info like,
What is the temp gauge reading?
Is the fan clutch working?
Are you talking about replacing the actual coolant temp sensor or the temp gauge sending unit?
Has anybody checked the water pump for any problems? Sometimes the impeller will come off the water pump shaft.
Depending on the mileage since you are going to replace the radiator it might be a good idea to also replace the upper and lower radiator hoses and coolant. Make sure there is a spring inside the lower hose or the hose can collapse with high RPM and restrict the flow through the radiator.
Hi Hanky and Jeff,

Researched in Youtube and saw a great video. So I went to Auto Zone (it was an emergency so the usual online ordering was skipped) and purchased a radiator and a water pump as suggested on the following day. Everything's been fixed It has 109,000 miles and this was the first time the gauge was acting weird.

Thank you both for your help!

Old 08-27-2016, 05:50 AM

Thanks for the update.
Sometimes we get lucky guessing over the net and more times not so lucky.
Glad you found and repaired the problem.