Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Hello everyone quick run down on my issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 12:50 AM
Default Hello everyone quick run down on my issue

I recently purchased A 1988 Ford E-150 Econoline with A 4.9L. I drove it home across town and it was A little sluggish on the freeway but I wasn't to concerned figuring it had been sitting for A couple of months. I started inspecting the minor repairs that needed to be done. Fixed A few minor issues and all was good. This past week I was less than 5 miles from home and it just cut off in the road. I got it towed home as soon as we arrived 45mins later it started right up like nothing happened? I started checking out different forums and following advice from others that possibly the ignition control module? I took it in and had it tested came back good. Van has been running decent since until last night I went to the store and when I tried starting the Van it seemed to take a couple tries to get it started. I got it home and later went to start it and nothing. Again I followed tips and tricks testing everything. The fuel pump relay has power but not completing the circuit, the injectors have power but are not pulsating, I have spark and when I hit it with starting fluid it fires right up. I have fuel pressure if I jump the relay. I watched a video on youtube about the pcm and how the diodes pop and can be soldiered back in with new ones but upon my inspection of the pcm the little circuit boards on the main one I have one that looks burnt? What would cause this before I purchase another and fry it as well? Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:47 AM

There is also an EEC relay that sends power to the computer (EEC) and the fuel pump relay. Usually when circuits show hi heat tales, that is due to excessive current draw. There is a good possibility the fuel pump is pulling too much current and the only way to confirm that is to measure the draw through an amp meter. Many times just replacing the fuel pump relay and EEC relay will get rid of the problem.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:06 AM

Thank You for your assistance. I have located and checked the fuel relay the other relay would that be the brown one next to it? I will just go ahead and replace both relays to be safe.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:13 AM
Default Update on issue

I went back and double triple checked all fuse-able links,relays, inerta switch, ect. Finally pulled the ecu/pcm and I could smell what smells like melted plastic. So I opened it up and found this chip literally fried to the point it cracked on top. It looks as if it bubbled the board a bit and put a burn mark up the back of the small board in the front of it. Now off to find a new ecu/pcm. I am pretty sure I know why it fried the computer one ground going to the blower box behind the battery is missing some of the coating and looks as if it could have touched the positive side of the battery..

Old 09-17-2014, 07:02 PM

Just make sure you check power and ground to it, also corrosion and connectors. These things does not go bad without help.