Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

HELP - Replace Airbag Sensor E250 Right Frame

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 03:01 PM
Default HELP - Replace Airbag Sensor E250 Right Frame

I REALLY hope someone can HELP me...!

I had a Code 44 on my airbag system...Problem with mounting of Airbag Sensor on right frame...

I took the sensor off and the ground connection that was attached to the case came off.

I was told by the dealer to ground it to the frame rather than the case but that was a guess. They want to replace it for $318 for the part and 6-8 hours of labor!

I found a good sensor and would just like to replace my "ungrounded" unit currently installed but I have studied this unit from every angle and I have no idea how to change it. The wiring disappears inside the frame and appears to be anchored INSIDE the body of the van! Is there some type of motion sensor that is installed when the van is manufactured that can not be removed?

Does anyone have any idea how to change one of these? Even if I locate the plug connection, can the anchored component be removed and reattached properly so the system works properly, as well as, as not go off while I am driving?

Please, I hope someone can help me. As it is, I am afraid to drive it for fear it will go off while driving...

Thanks, in advance...

Old 12-04-2012, 03:51 PM

I will try to help until someone more knowledgeable chimes in, can you provide the year please.
http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/...334_code44.gif

Please remember to disconnect the negative battery cable and wait at least 5 minutes before any air bag repair is attempted.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:41 AM

It is a 1996. For what it is worth, I went to the local U-Pull-It yard and found another '96 with the same sensor. I got brutal trying to find the connection clip at the end of the wiring and how to get it out of the body cavity it is routed through... NO luck. I really do thing these are installed at the factory and not meant to be removed, or replaced, for that matter.

Also, I checked into cutting the wiring where it is exposed and doing a solder connection with a new one. As I suspected...bad idea...the electrical resistance caused by the splice could effect it's functioning.

Thanks for being willing to help.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

I believe the wiring is run up/under the door scuff and into the lower instrument panel/kick area for the connector..

Old 12-05-2012, 12:22 PM

The link in my previous post details the test procedure for code 44. Please go through the steps, there could be other issues that throw this same code.
Removal seems straight forward, though removal of right step well to access wiring assembly seems necessary. My personal recommendation is to replace the unit; I have noticed a few online as low as $40. But I am one to error on caution when dealing with someone else’s vehicle so the choice of attaching a new ground strap would be yours. Check out these images for locations and insure we are on the same page.
http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/...10_96_e250.gif
http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/...208_96e250.gif

I wish I could be more forthcoming with information but I personally have yet to experience this. I feel assured someone with more information will come in soon if you wish to hold out a little longer. Though I would follow the test procedures outlined to insure this is your “only” issue and open the step well to access the wiring assembly. I will continue to try to find more information, as you have peeked my interest, good luck.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:37 PM

I went ahead and clipped the ground line that popped off. Stripped the casing, cleaned the stranded wires (oxidation) and soldered on an addition length of stranded copper wire. Attached the other end to a mounting bolt of the sensor. Reattached the battery and fired the van up...no flashing... I ran it for about 10 minutes and still no flashing. I have not been out for a ride, so, I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I still do not see how the sensor wiring can be removed, so if this "new and improved" grounding ends up not solving the problem, I will be looking for that info again... So, if anyone knows the facts on changing out the sensor, please, post them. If not for me, then for the next guy...

Thanks for everyone's help, and keep your fingers crossed...

Unfortunately, I now have to start a new thread on an entirely different subject...

Old 10-28-2013, 04:57 PM
Default airbag code 44

Help where on the van is it. The book says its the right front airbag sensor. thank you for your help mine is a 96 as well