Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

How Do I Route the Emergency Brake Cable at the Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 02:26 PM
Default How Do I Route the Emergency Brake Cable at the Pedal

1999 E-150
A coupling below the vehicle rusted out. While replacing it the end of the emergency brake came loose where it connects to the pedal mechanism.

Is there any way to get it back in place without removing the whole mechanism? This is a conversion van and they put a massive cable bundle in front of the upper nut.

Thanks,

Pete

Old 04-23-2013, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

The ebrake has a 'cradle' looking swivel that the cable head/end slips into. There's a notch cut into the cradle that allows for the cable to pass. With the ebrake in the off position you should be able to get at the lower portion of the arm/cradle. If obstructed, any pedal position that allows for the best cable re attachment.

To get the cable back in, the cable should be taken loose from the equalizer bracket otherwise you fighting the spring tension on/at rear levers..

Old 04-24-2013, 09:16 AM

Hayapower,

Since I made that post I have been banging my knuckles all over the place trying to route the cable. Because of stiffness it wants to go above the bracket not in its channel. I tried snaking a wire through and then pulling the cable the right route. But then the slug on the end keeps hanging up on something.

I guess there is no "silver bullet" for this. I'll just keep trying.

BTW, everything is loose. I got into this because a coupling just before the equalizer bracket rusted out. Enerything was going great replacing it. I was tightening the long bolt through the equalizer when suddenly everything went slack because the slug popped out of the notch.

Thanks
Pete

Old 04-25-2013, 09:31 AM

Well, after many tries at fishing the end into place I bit the bullet and unbolted the whole pedal mechanism.

I had to wedge a large cable bundle out of the way to see the upper (of three) nuts. Then I could fish a 9" socket extension with a universal on the end from by the regular brake pedal, above a fuse box and onto the nut. With the unit in my lap (and the cable still connected) I was able to get the cable and slug into place.

To get that top nut back in place I laid a piece of paper towel over the end of the socket (12 mm I think) and forced the nut into the socket. That held the nut in the socket and I again fished the extension+universal+socket+nut across the fuse box and (after many false starts) onto the stud.

Something still isn't right because I tightened the adjuster on the equlizer bracket as far as I could. When I push the e-brake pedel it just gets snug but not tight enough to hold the van against the engine idle. I'm thinking something may have popped off inside the brake drumb. I guess I have to pull that.

Thanks
Pete