Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

My mechanic says my engine on my 2000 E-250 is seized up but

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 06:59 AM
Default My mechanic says my engine on my 2000 E-250 is seized up but

About 2 months ago I had the starter replaced and it seemed to start and run ok, but since then the oil gauge started dropping to zero then going back to normal every once in a while. When I checked the oil it was fine so I thought it could be the sending unit which I replaced with no effect. During this time every once in a while when I turned the key I would get this loud electric sound as if I was trying to crank it while it was running. I would just wait a second and it would start normally. last week I was on my way home from work and it went dead and made several squealing noises from the area of the engine and wouldn't restart. I checked this and that and pondered what to do for about 20 minutes and tried to start it and it cranked up fine but ran a little rough. I made it home fine and the next day it started normally - a little rough, so I took it to my local auto parts store and they hooked a computer to it and told me my #8 spark plug was not firing, so I cranked it up, drove home and I replaced the #8 plug and coil. I started it and it acted as if the battery was weak but it did start and I drove it back to the auto store and they again told my that #8 plug was not firing. I started the van again and headed home but it went dead about a block from my house. It wouldn't crank and it sounded as if the battery was weak and there was that squealing noise. I pulled off the road and about an hour later it cranked and I drove it on home and had to have it towed to the shop from there. The mechanic says the engine is seized up and the starter it burned up completely. Does that sound reasonable?

Old 05-28-2013, 02:34 PM

Sure, I think it sounds reasonable, but,,,,, there is no harm in asking the mechanic if he could show you that the engine cannot be rotated, moved etc.
It is entirely possible that due to the loss of lubrication the engine "welded" itself together. It's not that you don't trust your mechanic's judgement, but you are trying to learn just what happened and why.

Somewhere out in left field the thought of a seized component like the power steering, A/C compressor brg or alternator could produce the same symptoms.
A good mechanic /tech would have no problem explaining how he came to is his conclusion. He just might appreciate your interest. If you are not satisfied with his answers, get a second opinion since you could be facing a big bill having to replace the engine.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:19 PM

The mechanic told me since I had just purchased and installed the starter and it was already burned up that I should return it for a new one and see if the engine would turn with it installed. So, I just got back from exchanging it and he will look at my van tomorrow. I don't have a lot of hope though.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:55 PM

If the engine is really that difficult to turn , a new starter isn't going to help any.
Before burning up the replacement starter it should be determined if the engine is any less difficult to turn with the belt removed. That should tell you something.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
If the engine is really that difficult to turn , a new starter isn't going to help any.
Before burning up the replacement starter it should be determined if the engine is any less difficult to turn with the belt removed. That should tell you something.
I installed the new starter this morning and it started right up. The mechanic said he would look at it and give me a call later today. This mechanic who's working on my van is at the ford dealership service department in my town so I guess he knows what he's talking about because I don't, anyway, he was surprised when I told him it cranked up and I'm still waiting to hear from him as of now. We'll see I guess.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:18 PM

Doesn't sound like he is much of a mechanic. Not that hard to tell if an engine is stuck.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:47 AM

Like everything else, just because someone "works" at a place doesn't mean they are experts, and even the experts get stuck once in a while.