Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Mysterious Forced Engine Shutdown 2006 E-250

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 09:22 PM
Default Mysterious Forced Engine Shutdown 2006 E-250

I have an 06 van that recently started dieing randomly. What is happening I believe is a Forced Engine Shutdown command from the PCM. The Power Train Malfunction Indicator light (wrench) comes on and it beeps. The engine dies instantly when this happens. I can switch off the key and immediately restart without any problems. This occurs several times every day over the course of a few hundred miles and is not related to anything I can identify in terms of driving conditions.

I've pulled codes P2107 and P0222. My understanding is that these codes indicate there is a problem in the electronic throttle control circuits. It makes sense that if the PCM thinks there is some malfunction with the electronic throttle control that the engine would be shut down.

I changed the throttle assembly, the PCM, the engine wiring harness and the gas pedal with parts from a junk vehicle and no change. The only thing remaining in the throttle circuit that I can think of is the bit of wiring between the gas pedal and the PCM. Before I go after that, I just thought I would ask if anyone has seen something like this. Are there other sensors or circuits besides the electronic throttle control that can cause the Forced Engine Shutdown?

Thanks,
Dave

Old 03-28-2020, 10:24 AM
Default same van, same problem

My '06 E250 has a mysterious forced shutdown problem too. I have pulled crank position codes and fuel level codes after the shutdown. As you said, turrn it off, turn it back on and it lights right up. I see your post is old and has no other responses. Did you find an answer? Would sure appreciate some guidance. Thanks.

Old 03-28-2020, 01:52 PM

Just about all good diagnostics start with a thorough VISUAL INSPECTION ! Not knowing if you have any test equip, VERY CAREFULLY, look for any wiring that can be getting rubbed through thereby making a momentary ground that should not be there, resulting in the computer initiating a limp mode or shut down strategy that is easily reset by just turning off power to the vehicle computer,( turning off the key and restarting the engine.) These can be stinkers to find and sometimes we get lucky and find them right away otherwise , well, we won't go there today.

Old 03-29-2020, 12:41 PM
Default Will look

I have a code reader and multi meter, some other stuff. Was going to inspect today, focusing on MAP and TPP wiring.

Old 03-29-2020, 12:47 PM
Default Will look

I have a code reader and multi meter, some other stuff. Was going to inspect today, focusing on MAP and TPP wiring. Latest code pulled was P061B - pcm torque calculations off.

Old 03-30-2020, 09:00 AM

The electrical monitoring of the electrical system has detected a problem and is behaving as designed to protect the system and prevent the vehicle from being driven and ruining things. Did you look for any possible rub thru places that wiring can be compromised.? Good possibility , that could be the problem.

Old 04-30-2021, 06:22 AM
Default soloution

Originally Posted by delgriffith
I have an 06 van that recently started dieing randomly. What is happening I believe is a Forced Engine Shutdown command from the PCM. The Power Train Malfunction Indicator light (wrench) comes on and it beeps. The engine dies instantly when this happens. I can switch off the key and immediately restart without any problems. This occurs several times every day over the course of a few hundred miles and is not related to anything I can identify in terms of driving conditions.

I've pulled codes P2107 and P0222. My understanding is that these codes indicate there is a problem in the electronic throttle control circuits. It makes sense that if the PCM thinks there is some malfunction with the electronic throttle control that the engine would be shut down.

I changed the throttle assembly, the PCM, the engine wiring harness and the gas pedal with parts from a junk vehicle and no change. The only thing remaining in the throttle circuit that I can think of is the bit of wiring between the gas pedal and the PCM. Before I go after that, I just thought I would ask if anyone has seen something like this. Are there other sensors or circuits besides the electronic throttle control that can cause the Forced Engine Shutdown?

Thanks,
Dave
what was the solution to this problem that i am having myself, I know it this a old post !!!

Old 04-30-2021, 11:39 AM
Default No solution yet

Originally Posted by skibum67
what was the solution to this problem that i am having myself, I know it this a old post !!!
Never heard back from original poster. After leaving my van parked for the winter I intend to attack the problem again. My suspicion is a damaged wire from the fuel tank, as I had a issue with smoke from fuel guage after replacing fuel pump. Same forced shut down problem possibly related to climbing hills.

Old 05-01-2021, 06:54 AM

Whenever you get smoke from somewhere in any electrical system, that is telling you something is getting very hot and whatever is supposed to be protecting that is not working.This requires a thorough check of the entire system to determine if someone took a shortcut someplace..