Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Please help with tools required for fuel pump replacement...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 09:58 PM
Question Please help with tools required for fuel pump replacement...

Greetings fellow ford enthusiasts and forum members!

I kindly ask you for slight assistance in replacing fuel pump in my E-250 1999 with 150 ODO.

I did some research online and determined the pump can be taken out by removing the fuel tank brackets and tilting the tank down, from the opposite side of the fuel fill port, that way there is enough fuel line length, to tilt the tank.

With tank lowered/tilted, I believe I will have enough clearance to take out the fuel pump/level assembly and replace the pump.

Please help me determine if I will have to disconnect any fuel lines to do the pump replacement (besides the ones connected directly to fuel pump/level assembly), or the lines will have enough length to allow for fuel tank tilt/lowering.

Also, which tools (besides the factory fuel line fitting removal tool) will I be needing. What size/gauge sockets I need for fuel tank brackets? Any other wrenches tools required? (I tried to find a DIY everywhere to no avail)

A DIY would be greatly appreciated@!

My idea is as follows, raise the entire vehicle about 1-1.5 foot up. Support the tank from underneath, remove the brackets, slowly lower/tilt the tank down to expose enough clearance on top of the tank to remove the pump assembly up and out from the tank. What tools/sockets needed to remove the pump assembly from tank itself? Any tools to remove pump from the assembly?

Thank you gentlemen. Any help is much appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Aleksey!

Old 05-02-2014, 10:04 AM

This is one of those questions where you could get 5 different answers.
From what I seemed to have learned,
If possible try to get as much fuel out of the tank as possible because with fuel in them , they are heavy.
Your best bet is to plan to drop the tank completely,,,,, because there usually is a lot of crap on the top where you need to remove the fuel pump module which is about 10 inches deep into the tank. All that garbage has to be cleaned off , then you can remove the retaining ring and CAREFULLY lift the module out noting the position of the float arm for when reinstalling. Some replace only the pump itself and some replace the entire module which can cost a few bucks (maybe $400.00+)when purchased from Ford. It is not a nice feeling when you replaced the pump motor only to have the gauge section crap out a short time later and the whole job needs to be done over. That is your choice. The "O" ring that goes under the module assy will usually swell and should be replaced at that time. As I stated , different folks have done this job a few different ways and again the choice is yours. The old adage applies here and that is, do it right and do it once !